Boro and wycombe suing Derby County

It's also what drives the rest of the division to pay ridiculous wages.

Maybe in part. You could argue the likes of Bournemouth didn't have parachute payments initially and paid them large wages without any guarantees and you could also argue they had to pay those levels to compete at the top end of the Championship and get promoted, because of the parachute payments. Same for Sheff Wed, Derby etc.

The problem as always is the disparity between PL wages and clubs wanting to get in the PL whether parachute payments are in place or not.

Clubs wanting the top end Championship players or fringe PL players to get promotion will always be tempted to overspend and removing parachute payments won't change that.

Last edited:
They've done nothing different to what any other club would have done, makes me laugh at how disliked they are on here for something Sunderland would have done too.
Exactly this. If you's were in their position this place would have demanded the same, and Donald and Methven would've been even more disliked than they are.
And if Palace were in Wycombe's position Steve Parish would've been on every single sports show, TV channel and radio station to beat that drum, and the Palace support wouldn't have accepted anything less.

Embarrassing.

They both ended up where they were because they weren’t good enough over 46 games.
Well Derby cheating means that view is flawed.

Derby are absolutely to blame for the whole mess and the ‘feel sorry for the supporters’ narrative, including our own, is generally nonsense. They were well aware there was a rabbit away.
This is why Wycombe are so disliked. Cheated their way to promotion in 2020 and now trying to kick Derby down for a quick buck.

Surprised at Steve Gibson mind, he must be skint.
They didn’t cheat. They were promoted on the back of a set of rules set out by the EFL. I guarantee, if we were promoted under the same conditions you would not have blinked.
What happens if Derby are liquidated because nobody will take the risk of falling foul of any litigation? Boro and Wycombe don't get a penny and loads of innocent people lose their livelihoods. Boro and Wycombe then get what from the situation? They don't get money but the nice, warm fuzzy feeling of wrecking people's lives?

All for what?
Derby County will have wrecked those peoples lives, not Boro or Wycombe.

There is also as much chance of Boro getting 40-50 million as there is of Derby winning the Premier League this season.

Last edited:
As it says in the Boro statement I'm puzzled as to how the Derby administrators can say that any claims by Boro and Wycombe are simultaneously spurious is without reasonable chance of success and also be preventing a deal.

We stuck to FFP and as a result had to sell Bamford, Gibson and Traore before the start of the season in question. Derby meanwhile were throwing money around like it was going out of fashion and Steve Gibson raised this at the time only to be ignored. He owns Boro personally, it's his money on the line and he was never going to just walk away and forget about this - anyone who thought he would hasn't paid attention to him taking the whole 3 points saga as far as he legally could and also suing Liverpool for tapping up Christian Ziege. The club have stated that they have been willing to take this to arbitration but that Derby have ignored this so we've ended up where we things are now on a financial precipice.
Pretty sure the claim is for nowhere near the quoted £45m but Gibson will continue to protect his commercial interests and try to establish a precedent for future cases.

Embarrassing.

They both ended up where they were because they weren’t good enough over 46 games.
Derby finished one point above us in sixth and have accepted they cheated the financial rules to achieve that.

I think Gibson also has documented proof that they outbid us in fees and wages for players in that season, players that they couldn't afford if they hadn't cheated. We sold Bamford, Traore, Ben Gibson etc. to stay within FFP.

A full season of PL with a years parachute is nearer £170 million I believe too.

Didnt realise this was still rumbling on. Seems like boro are after 40-50m for missing out on the playoffs and Wycombe for relegation.

Prospective Derby owners won't buy the club incase they're liable for these. Could end up with the club going to the wall. I get its infuriating they missed out on the playoffs but its not just because Derby overspent surely? No guarantee they'd have won the playoffs yet want 40-50m?
Gibson was moaning on about financial fair play before as well - conveniently forgetting when he was spunking millions on the likes of Merson and Gascoigne when the club was making losses hand over fist.

FFP doesn`t work properly because folk find loopholes to dodge it. Grounds and players are sold to shell companies and there is more dodgy deals going on than ever.

The game, and our clubs, have now become rich boys toys and some of those rich kids go belly up and we end up with the consequences.

I`m just glad we made it into Div 1 when it was a simpler game.

Captain Bob robbing pensioners aside...... and I can remember Bob selling Dean Saunders to Ian (at Derby) for next to nothing and that money never arrived on our books that anyone knows!

Should give all recognised supporters groups a board place and a "golden vote" to save their clubs before it all goes tits up.

Back