Blyth Gigaplant

So as far as I can figure out this company was formed by two fellas - one (now) 40 yr old abu dabai based bond trader and one convicted tax defrauder. These folks managed to sell themselves to various investment companies and the UK government with zero experience in batteries, cars, manufacturing or any related industry, raise money they spent on mansions, posh offices anywhere in the world other than blyth and funding their lifestyle (yes i know to attract investors you do need to have a presence in places they are but permanent multimillion pound offices...?)

I'm not super sure how anyone is massively surprised its gone a bit haywire. I mean the fact the tax criminal has shifted from making "BritishVolt" here to "ItalVolt" in Italy makes it sound like he used to sell monorails. I hope but dont expect that someone can get control of the company and actually move forward because it sound like the government have (again) just handed over a load of funding to some chancers, Id be f***ing surprised if Stewart Donald and Charlie Methven haven't googled "how to make batteries" at this point.

So as far as I can figure out this company was formed by two fellas - one (now) 40 yr old abu dabai based bond trader and one convicted tax defrauder. These folks managed to sell themselves to various investment companies and the UK government with zero experience in batteries, cars, manufacturing or any related industry, raise money they spent on mansions, posh offices anywhere in the world other than blyth and funding their lifestyle (yes i know to attract investors you do need to have a presence in places they are but permanent multimillion pound offices...?)

I'm not super sure how anyone is massively surprised its gone a bit haywire. I mean the fact the tax criminal has shifted from making "BritishVolt" here to "ItalVolt" in Italy makes it sound like he used to sell monorails. I hope but dont expect that someone can get control of the company and actually move forward because it sound like the government have (again) just handed over a load of funding to some chancers, Id be f***ing surprised if Stewart Donald and Charlie Methven haven't googled "how to make batteries" at this point.
Although not quite the same it has an element of this story about it
His companies made a deal for £138m of taxpayers’ money. Where has it gone?

There was something fishy about this from the get go. They had no previous experience in manufacturing batteries.

Then you had the logistics question. Nissan were talking about building their own in Sunderland so who do they sell them to? Not many other EV manufacturing in the UK and the ones that we do have how do you get those batteries there in such big volumes to make it profitable? They aren't exactly lightweight

Terrible news. Alot of money will have disappeared into shady characters pockets no doubt.

I know of 18 people looking for employment elsewhere now (all do the same role). They all jumped ship to this particular contractor for the money on offer and the promise it was going ahead. They were all told yesterday it’s now not happening, and that statement came from the board.

I know of 18 people looking for employment elsewhere now (all do the same role). They all jumped ship to this particular contractor for the money on offer and the promise it was going ahead. They were all told yesterday it’s now not happening, and that statement came from the board.
What an absolute shit show.

Sorry to hear that. The buggers who've been living it up in mansions at taxpayers' expense will probably walk away smelling of roses.

Sorry to hear that. The buggers who've been living it up in mansions at taxpayers' expense will probably walk away smelling of roses.

I’m not directly affected like, I don’t work for them (we sub contract to a number of contractors on the job elsewhere).

Agree though, there’s something not right at the top.

The news don't seem to be touching it. I wonder if there's going to be some sort of legal ramifications so they've been told to avoid it?

Back