Blyth Gigaplant

Commencing “mid decade”, sounds a bit ropey since it’s only 2022. Never felt right tho has it, how a start up like BV could be involved in such a huge project so early in their existence.

Totally agree but paying a devils advocate construction inflation and interest rate increases must also be having a major impact on their original business case? Sadly a lot of projects likely to stall or have to be redesigned across the next 12 months.

Totally agree but paying a devils advocate construction inflation and interest rate increases must also be having a major impact on their original business case? Sadly a lot of projects likely to stall or have to be redesigned across the next 12 months.
Bound to. The quotes I produce in my line of work are based on heavy plant sourced from Slovenia. It's gone up in price 70% in the last 12 months. I'm not sure there's a point in producing quotes for large projects anymore with so much price uncertainty. I'm finding myself being very careful with adding caveats and validity periods.

Bound to. The quotes I produce in my line of work are based on heavy plant sourced from Slovenia. It's gone up in price 70% in the last 12 months. I'm not sure there's a point in producing quotes for large projects anymore with so much price uncertainty. I'm finding myself being very careful with adding caveats and validity periods.
I've run out of asterisks I use so many these days

"Our capital works phased development programme has been designed flexibly to enable us to reschedule activity to critically evaluate core design and build elements, optimising the build schedule to improve efficiency and optimise synergies across our phases, as well as to understand and mitigate the consequences of rising material prices to ensure our new facility is geared up to become the global leader in battery manufacturing excellence.”

Sounds like not so much Full Steam Ahead....

More like - spend a couple of more years evaluating the forward track and seeing how the market develops .

Question marks
Doesn't sound at all convincing. Fucks sake.

Whilst the situation isn’t amusing, it’s quite amusing to see who some of the last few posts are from. I guess the doom and gloom of the politics mad house isn’t enough for them :lol: Even the juice man from Del Monte has turned up

Whilst the situation isn’t amusing, it’s quite amusing to see who some of the last few posts are from. I guess the doom and gloom of the politics mad house isn’t enough for them :lol: Even the juice man from Del Monte has turned up
Whilst this is nowt to do with Brexit, it's very important for UK because of Brexit

Because we've gone fir a hard version of Brexit which complicates component movements and fluidity the auto sector is threatened. We need several big battery plants to anchor future EV manufacturing here .

If this stalls and JLR goes to Central Europe then its a slow death for UK automotive imo .

Gradually decreasing circles

Whilst this is nowt to do with Brexit, it's very important for UK because of Brexit

Because we've gone fir a hard version of Brexit which complicates component movements and fluidity the auto sector is threatened. We need several big battery plants to anchor future EV manufacturing here .

If this stalls and JLR goes to Central Europe then its a slow death for UK automotive imo .

Envision at Nissan is underway, work really really ramps up at the end of the month

Factory that never had any customers or orders and was never going to build for the UK automotive industry finds itself under threat.Who wad ever of thought it.

What I would say about Brexit is that as far as I am aware it has become more difficult to source materials and ensure guaranteed delivery dates, but I also understand that recruitment in the construction industry is becoming quite a problem particularly in the north east.

That coupled with a number of large projects in the north east (Envision gigafactory, Gateshead arena, bank house Newcastle along with other developments in Sunderland and elsewhere) and then the likes of HS2 means a lot of resource is tidied up in long term projects who are all fighting for the same contractors and pushing up prices.

By the time you add that, material and Labour inflation it isn’t looking great for development and construction sector at the moment.

Back