Blyth Gigaplant

JLR are supposedly considering moving their battery production to Slovakia. According to Autocar, the current modus operandi is to locate the car production where the battery production is, not the other way around.

What I would say about Brexit is that as far as I am aware it has become more difficult to source materials and ensure guaranteed delivery dates, but I also understand that recruitment in the construction industry is becoming quite a problem particularly in the north east.

That coupled with a number of large projects in the north east (Envision gigafactory, Gateshead arena, bank house Newcastle along with other developments in Sunderland and elsewhere) and then the likes of HS2 means a lot of resource is tidied up in long term projects who are all fighting for the same contractors and pushing up prices.

By the time you add that, material and Labour inflation it isn’t looking great for development and construction sector at the moment.
Hasnt the Gateshead arena job been pulled?

Not sure I know they placed the enabling works contract and had applied for levelling up funding before all this inflation business happened so does sound like it’s in trouble - in fairness they’ve been at it for probably at it for well over 12 years so it must be marginal in viability terms.

BAM nuttall got the groundworks for it last I heard. McAlpine we’re going to be the builders. Looking for a new name for the sage as it’s going to be the sage arena. Not heard anything about it being cancelled.

Envision at Nissan is underway, work really really ramps up at the end of the month
That's good

But the reality for UK is that if we don't attract a big handful of gigaplants to uk then the auto industry will continue to contract.

Its already halved in size from a decade ago in terms of vehicle output. It could easily half again by 2030 imo

I was told there's a £50 million deficit in the funding offered. They were saying the government hadn't paid what was promised. Whilst that wouldn't surprise me, it's looking more likely these were wide boys all along.

Devastating if this ends up not happening.
It is, but to be fair a lot the manufacturing companies in the area are already struggling to fill vacancies. Envision will need to employ an additional 700 by 2024. Having a saturated jobs market can have the opposite effect too. If companies aren't attracting people to work for them, they could then consider moving elsewhere. That said the last few days have proven how quickly things can change.

Back