Blue badge scheme could be extended to those with dementia or autism

Most people with dementia don’t have careers in the early stages. At what point in the progression of the disease do you decide they should get a blue badge. Ditto for autism. How far along the scale does a person need to be before they qualify for a blue badge.

This is sound bite politics and means nothing. Those who are severely enough disabled by their disease will already qualify for a blue badge anyway.
Having began looking at getting a blue badge for someone with dementia (with myself driving, not them) I can assure you that even if it is currently possible to get a blue badge it can be a lot harder than you think to go through the paperwork. The problem is that a lot of the paperwork doesn't really cater for the complexities of a disease of the mind where someone can walk quite a distance one day and the next be barely able to move depending on things like mood which seem to change arbitrarily.

It'll be for alcoholism next, cos that's a disease anall y'kna.

.....then those who are gender confused.
What a bizarre post.

Like I just said, I'm sure they're necessary, but I'd have more disabled spaces and fewer parent and child spaces.
Increasing spaces for adults who have difficulty navigating carparks whilst either keeping the same or reducing spaces for toddlers who can't navigate car parks just seems daft.

But then, you can't enforce who uses what spaces. I've seen parent and child places used by parents of able teens. Same for disabled spots.

I think the issue is that people with mental or developmental disorders do struggle with mobility to an extent and their carers may have difficulty getting them to navigate a car park.

I’d sooner have those than “parent and child” parking spaces

100% this. You often will have someone with dementia who suffers confusion/ disorientation when in unfamiliar places and/or moving from one environment to another.

I can totally understand why people don't understand it if they haven't experienced it but the difference between parking outside the front of a building and the person being able to swiftly move into whatever it is (e.g. dr's appointment) can save so much distress compared to having the hassle of moving them a long way.

It's completely arbitrary what can send someone with dementia going (seeing someone who looks like someone, going through the tyne tunnel (both ones I've experienced)) and you could save both the carer and the person with dementia a lot of distress in some situations by giving them less distance to travel and thus less likelihood of something "throwing" them.

Anything that makes life easier for anyone caring for someone with dementia or autism is a good thing imo

Increasing spaces for adults who have difficulty navigating carparks whilst either keeping the same or reducing spaces for toddlers who can't navigate car parks just seems daft.

But then, you can't enforce who uses what spaces. I've seen parent and child places used by parents of able teens. Same for disabled spots.

You can enforce disabled spots but there isn’t any framework to enforce parent and child spots is there?

Parent and child spots seem like a new thing, there are loads of them at my local Tesco and they seem to get used mostly by people who don’t have bairns.

Oh I don't doubt they're necessary, just if I had a choice, I'd have more disabled spaces and fewer parent and child spaces.
Just make all the spaces bigger and reduce the number or build another level (queue Another Level video Posts )

You can enforce disabled spots but there isn’t any framework to enforce parent and child spots is there?

Parent and child spots seem like a new thing, there are loads of them at my local Tesco and they seem to get used mostly by people who don’t have bairns.
In a private land car park you an enforce any rules as long as it’s done correctly with signage

It's a grey area. Supermarkets can give PCN's if someone parked in them without a child, but that requires having a person on duty monitoring who gets out of the car and if they are entitled to use the space. They don't have this kind of manpower, so they tend not to bother enforcing the spaces.

My Mam has had abuse from people for parking in parent and child spaces when all the disabled spaces were full.

5% innit?

No idea. @Goat Eyes ?

It's a grey area. Supermarkets can give PCN's if someone parked in them without a child, but that requires having a person on duty monitoring who gets out of the car and if they are entitled to use the space. They don't have this kind of manpower, so they tend not to bother enforcing the spaces.

My Mam has had abuse from people for parking in parent and child spaces when all the disabled spaces were full.

I'm surprised supermarkets don't have that manpower like. They should have it given the money they make.

Just make all the spaces bigger and reduce the number or build another level (queue Another Level video Posts )

In a private land car park you an enforce any rules as long as it’s done correctly with signage

You live and learn.

Nowt like a driving or parking thread to out the selfish / angry folks. Who gives a flying fuck if someone else has a permit to park in a place you can't, I mean haway man.

Nowt like a driving or parking thread to out the selfish / angry folks. Who gives a flying fuck if someone else has a permit to park in a place you can't, I mean haway man.

Tbh where I live you can can 500 spaces and there is normally always disabled spaces free. I have no problem with that but some people with blue badges know it's busy and path the most inconsiderate places on the road knowing that single yellow makes them untouchable. I know some disabilities don't stand out also.

You cannot argue there is loads of abuse of the system. I could stand at a local supermarket and see loads of carers using those spaces without the person they are caring for with them.

Same with child spaces.. abused all the time.

However child spaces in supermarkets are really needed. To unbuckle a kid from a seat of you ahvent for proper door clearance is a nightmare

I think the issue is that people with mental or developmental disorders do struggle with mobility to an extent and their carers may have difficulty getting them to navigate a car park.

I’d sooner have those than “parent and child” parking spaces

People with cognitive disabilities are also frequently in a situation where if a daily task doesn't take too long or have too many obstacles they can do it, but if not it can be overwhelming

Back