Bit of a mad question but I know some on here have experience.

Totally agree with you and any help is great but the person in question needs to want to change. Seen it many times where some people just won’t stop until it’s too late
That's a little bit of a cliche and not always the case. I have known a number of addicts who wanted nothing more than to stop but just couldnt due to the very nature of their addiction sadly.

That's a little bit of a cliche and not always the case. I have known a number of addicts who wanted nothing more than to stop but just couldnt due to the very nature of their addiction sadly.
Exactly. People talking like it's giving up eating bloody takeaways or something. It's f***ing soooo hard, hardest thing anyone will or would have to go through in their entire life.

Normal gadgie would be sound until they stopped. Once you stop it all catches up with you like Doreen Gray.
I know it was a typo but I like Doreen Gray😁😁
Exactly. People talking like it's giving up eating bloody takeaways or something. It's f***ing soooo hard, hardest thing anyone will or would have to go through in their entire life.
Yes but while they are drinking there is nothing you can do for them.

Last edited:

Eating addiction is a thing as well mate. Feel like, or hope, it will be the next addiction we start to tackle more seriously.

If a drinker who had a few beers a day 6-10) over a long person but then started to really up his game to a bottle of whiskey and a bottle of wine a day - how realistically long could they live for?
Between 1 and 50 odd years maybe? How long is the person?

It took a mate of mine about 18 months to go from a 17 stone brick shithouse bodybuilder..successful business owner..married with 2 kids..to kill himself with alcohol..marriage collapsed (his fault) and he drank himself to death.
Happens alot after a relationship breaks down. Most blokes aren't good at dealing with things like that. A lad I knew died shortly after splitting with his lass. She wouldn't let him see the kids so he just locked himself away and drank and took various prescription drugs until he died. Tragic.

Eating addiction is a thing as well mate. Feel like, or hope, it will be the next addiction we start to tackle more seriously.
Yeah, true mate. I didn't think that one out properly. You know what i meant tho. For the thread's purpose....i drank 15-20 minituares secretly in house over a 2 yr period EVERY DAY...i ended up being put in hospital by my wife and many struggles and her findimg minituares ALL OVER hidden in the house...consequences of a 2 yr period??? Alcohol scirrhosis of liver, on the verge of dying in hospital. Obviously i drank on a weekend since i was 17 but thise 2 yrs 2020-2022 of EVERY DAY drinking those minituares nearly killed me. Every day i didn't think i was hurting myself....it was 'the norm', it helped me function amd you wouldn't have known i had been drinking. Hate myself every day for the grief i put my wife through, remember her in tears some days and i didn't think i was doing anything wrong. Take that with me till my dying day, can't shake that guilt off. Horrible disease.

Yeah, true mate. I didn't think that one out properly. You know what i meant tho. For the thread's purpose....i drank 15-20 minituares secretly in house over a 2 yr period EVERY DAY...i ended up being put in hospital by my wife and many struggles and her findimg minituares ALL OVER hidden in the house...consequences of a 2 yr period??? Alcohol scirrhosis of liver, on the verge of dying in hospital. Obviously i drank on a weekend since i was 17 but thise 2 yrs 2020-2022 of EVERY DAY drinking those minituares nearly killed me. Every day i didn't think i was hurting myself....it was 'the norm', it helped me function amd you wouldn't have known i had been drinking. Hate myself every day for the grief i put my wife through, remember her in tears some days and i didn't think i was doing anything wrong. Take that with me till my dying day, can't shake that guilt off. Horrible disease.

Be thankful mate that you survived and you had the strength of her support to help you through it. You've got a second chance don't waste it being chained by the guilt.

My Nana drank 4 cans of Stella every night for over 70 years. Whilst not as strong as what you mentioned, you'd imagine that would do some damage to her liver but her liver was completely fine somehow.

Happens alot after a relationship breaks down. Most blokes aren't good at dealing with things like that. A lad I knew died shortly after splitting with his lass. She wouldn't let him see the kids so he just locked himself away and drank and took various prescription drugs until he died. Tragic.
This was awful..from being this hulking handsome lad to seeing what the alcohol did to him was heartbreaking.

Some heartbreaking posts again on here and as most know I was a functioning alcoholic and turned into a full blown one who is somehow still here but I know that's through not even going anywhere near alcohol ever again. Think everyone who are in trouble with addiction deserves as much help as they can get and the fact that @bowers2 is even asking about it shows they are worried.
To answer the question in my experience you slip very very quickly and am so lucky I had my wife and daughter and a few friends but you do find out when you like that who really cares as they are there for you.
Wish your mate the best and if anything I can do to help please just ask mate.

Think about it this way, the NHS weekly recommended alcohol units per week is 14 units, which is about the equivalent of five pints of beer, and even that is supposed to be spread out over at least three days.

I know that the majority of people who like a drink, will drink more than five pints a week, but if you're drinking 10 beers a night(around 30 units) You are drinking more than double the weekly recommended amount of alcohol in a single night, and if you're doing that every night of the week that's 210 units of alcohol a month.

This means that the NHS recommends than in an entire year, the average person should drink a maximum of 672 units of alcohol. The person described in your post was already drinking over 10 thousand units of alcohol a year, and that was when they only enjoyed 'a few beers'.

I doubt they are recommending 14 units a week. Recommending not to exceed that as a maximum perhaps.

Ive seen this a few times now lads I’ve worked away with, who if you had to put a name on it where “functioning alcoholics” cracked on till late 50’s then body just gave up or started back answering.
Obviously will be ex exceptions but a clear indicator ya body can only take so much.

Some heartbreaking posts again on here and as most know I was a functioning alcoholic and turned into a full blown one who is somehow still here but I know that's through not even going anywhere near alcohol ever again. Think everyone who are in trouble with addiction deserves as much help as they can get and the fact that @bowers2 is even asking about it shows they are worried.
To answer the question in my experience you slip very very quickly and am so lucky I had my wife and daughter and a few friends but you do find out when you like that who really cares as they are there for you.

Great post.
I don’t think he wants to change. He doesn’t appear to think there is a problem.
There is always an excuse.
Sad really. I’ve worked with people who are alcoholics but never seen it from a family side.
It’s not pleasant.

Great post.
I don’t think he wants to change. He doesn’t appear to think there is a problem.
There is always an excuse.
Sad really. I’ve worked with people who are alcoholics but never seen it from a family side.
It’s not pleasant.
So sorry mate but please don't give up on them , it might get hard for you and if it does you need to take time out and refresh for yourself and your family ❤️

Most people’s liver wouldn’t stand that, I reckon
Good on you mate

Back