Bit of a mad question but I know some on here have experience.

Was speaking to a bloke in the cottage a few year ago. Was 83. Reckons he drank at least 10 pints a night for 30 year. All depends on the person. I drink at least 50 units a week and I'm nearly 50. Run 9 mile regularly and lift weights.

I can't understand why anyone would try to dissuade someone from trying to help someone they care about.

Also, interventions are a thing and they do help and even if they don't immediately stop something they can be informs the person that they do have a problem, and how their actions affect their family and friends
Totally agree with you and any help is great but the person in question needs to want to change. Seen it many times where some people just won’t stop until it’s too late

If a drinker who had a few beers a day 6-10) over a long person but then started to really up his game to a bottle of whiskey and a bottle of wine a day - how realistically long could they live for?
In my experience once a functioning alcoholic ceases to function then it’s not long before it gets really bad. If they’re getting some support at home and eating something it helps. Our GP reckoned my husband lasted a couple of years longer than expected because I tried to get him to eat something and supervised his medication. He was on morphine for the pain in his legs towards the end due to nerve damage caused by the alcohol. For the last couple of years he had Korsakoff’s syndrome due to the alcohol abuse. Eventually his liver and kidneys gave out. He wasn’t drinking much towards the end but the damage was done. It wasn’t pleasant for him or for my daughters and me watching it. We tried to get him help earlier but he didn’t want it. He was 55 when he died. I’ve wondered whether, if he’d known how he’d end up, he might have been more inclined to take the help he was offered to stop drinking.

In my experience once a functioning alcoholic ceases to function then it’s not long before it gets really bad. If they’re getting some support at home and eating something it helps. Our GP reckoned my husband lasted a couple of years longer than expected because I tried to get him to eat something and supervised his medication. He was on morphine for the pain in his legs towards the end due to nerve damage caused by the alcohol. For the last couple of years he had Korsakoff’s syndrome due to the alcohol abuse. Eventually his liver and kidneys gave out. He wasn’t drinking much towards the end but the damage was done. It wasn’t pleasant for him or for my daughters and me watching it. We tried to get him help earlier but he didn’t want it. He was 55 when he died. I’ve wondered whether, if he’d known how he’d end up, he might have been more inclined to take the help he was offered to stop drinking.
Heartbreaking that. I agree, from what I have seen they just like a drink (in their own minds) but when they start going overboard and missing work etc it just accelerates. I don't know for a fact but it seemed like they had a last bit of control to cling on to a normalish life but once a bit of that goes it rapidly goes down hill. It's a real shame.

Heartbreaking that. I agree, from what I have seen they just like a drink (in their own minds) but when they start going overboard and missing work etc it just accelerates. I don't know for a fact but it seemed like they had a last bit of control to cling on to a normalish life but once a bit of that goes it rapidly goes down hill. It's a real shame.

This is a worry. The family now know the extent and the remaining bit of pride and dignity has gone. It’s going to get worse.
Regardless how long he lives, he needs intervention NOW for his and his families sake. Please get him help.

Isn’t not as easy as that.
On paper it is.
Hopefully the first stage is some respite for the remaining child.
She is very hard (they have caused it) but she is 22 now.
The family have now gone in.
He was sat in sofa and pissed himself in front of them last night. It’s mess.

Last edited:
Saw a mate of mine I've not seen in a couple of years recently and the drink has destroyed him. We keep in touch so I know he's been having trouble with it, accelerated by drinking while COVID had him working from home, but I was shocked by how frail he was and how ill he looked. Four year ago he was just an ordinary bloke.

The person has to want to stop or there's no chance. Loved ones explaining how it's affecting them can help or can make no difference. If it's 36 units a day, every day then that's very deep in and hard to reason with but every situation is different.

I know it’s not a few but it was to him. I imagine a functioning alcoholic. He ain’t functioning anymore and is now a complete wreck but it’s affecting the family now.
My mate went from a lifetime of heavy drinking but working into his 50s . Covid and furlough came and he never got back to work
He died around 2022 .

It took a mate of mine about 18 months to go from a 17 stone brick shithouse bodybuilder..successful business owner..married with 2 kids..to kill himself with alcohol..marriage collapsed (his fault) and he drank himself to death.

It took a mate of mine about 18 months to go from a 17 stone brick shithouse bodybuilder..successful business owner..married with 2 kids..to kill himself with alcohol..marriage collapsed (his fault) and he drank himself to death.
I know who you mean, best mates with his wife. Such a waste and never would have imagined this happening.

My sister died from alcoholism when she was only 28. She was a twin and obviously got compared to her twin sister. Her twin sister was loud and outgoing but she was shy and quiet, she started out just having a few drinks to give her confidence to talk to people. This got worse and worse over the years until the doctors told her if she continued to drink when she got out of hospital she would be dead in the next 6 months. The first thing she did when she got it out was go and buy alcohol. The doctors were right and she was dead a few months later. She didn’t want to die but her addiction was that strong she couldn’t stop even knowing she would.

Alcoholism is bloody awful and people who say ‘well they done it to themselves’ don’t have a clue.

Last edited:
I was talking to her not so long back..i still can't believe it like..we all tried to help him at the time but you can't be watching someone for 24 hours.
You can only help someone if they want to be helped, unfortunately the lengths people go to with this addiction is very sad. A cousin is in AA and knows he could lapse at anytime, but he accepted he had a problem.

My sister died from alcoholism when she was only 28. She was a twin and obviously got compared to her twin sister. Her twin sister was loud and outgoing but she was shy and quiet, she started out just having a few drinks to give her confidence to talk to people. This got worse and worse over the years until the doctors told her if she continued to drink when she got out of hospital she would be dead in the next 6 months. The first thing she did when she got it out was go and buy alcohol. The doctors were right and she was dead a few months later. She didn’t want to die but her addiction was that strong she couldn’t stop even knowing she would.

Alcoholism is bloody awful and people who say ‘well they done it to themselves’ don’t have a clue.

I’m angry at him at the moment due to the strain on the family.
However I fully understand why he’s ended up like this.
He’s been trapped without a voice. He really likes my company so I’ll have to roll my sleeves up but it’s very hard to be sympathetic due to “you do it to yourself” but it’s gone on too long and there is too much water gone under the bridge.
It’s a matter of time I suppose.

I know it’s not a few but it was to him. I imagine a functioning alcoholic. He ain’t functioning anymore and is now a complete wreck but it’s affecting the family now.
2 Years
Was speaking to a bloke in the cottage a few year ago. Was 83. Reckons he drank at least 10 pints a night for 30 year. All depends on the person. I drink at least 50 units a week and I'm nearly 50. Run 9 mile regularly and lift weights.
Billy porter?

Last edited:
I’m angry at him at the moment due to the strain on the family.
However I fully understand why he’s ended up like this.
He’s been trapped without a voice. He really likes my company so I’ll have to roll my sleeves up but it’s very hard to be sympathetic due to “you do it to yourself” but it’s gone on too long and there is too much water gone under the bridge.
It’s a matter of time I suppose.
If he doesn’t want or cannot change and give sobriety a go, I’d walk away. Life is too short to be dragged down by other people’s issues that they won’t face. If he wants to give it a go then back him up as much as you want.
An alcoholic is just a pain in the arse until they want to change.

Back