Billy Hughes, RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Too young to have seen him play but a true SAFC legend.

Am sure him and Porterfield will be having a good natter way up high reminiscing.

"Billy Hughes with the header..."

Part of my teenage years gone. One of the players brought in and developed by Alan Brown when he came back to the club after McColl, and really blossomed after Vic Halom arrived. Sadly, he never seemed to make a full recovery from the bad broken log he suffered in, I think, 75/76.

Hopefully those who go on Boxing Day will be able to honour him with the minute's applause he richly deserves, and again in March when he's inducted into the Hall of Fame.

RIP Billy, and thanks for all the memories.

Broke his leg at Charlton away that season , I was there that day , no doubt plenty of the older lads on here would have been as well.

Cracking player back in the day , I for one will spend the minutes silence on Boxing Day remembering him in particular.

Be a nice gesture for the club to play some video highlights pre match and at half time.

As a young’un I always thought that Billy had an unusual walking gait, sort of as if he’d injured his hip or something. He soon put to bed any worries I might have had about his playing ability though. Marvellous player.

Awww No...Fantastic for us . Loved going to Roker Park to watch him. Feels like part of my childhood has gone.
RIP Billy and thank you for some wonderful memories.

Spent my youth watching the cup winning team from the early seventies through to the cup win .Special times and Billy Hughes was a big part of that team . They weren't frightened of any other team in the country at that time no matter who they were.
Billy Hughes was a great entertainer ,our own George Best
RIP Billy and thanks for the memories.

Well that is so very sad. Lover watching him play.
I have this fixed image of him as this lad who could torture defenders.
The hair style, that moustache, the way he kept his upper torso almost vertical when he went on one of his runs.You always got a surge of excitement when he picked up on a run.
A goal scored from an overhead kick, the semi final against Arsenal and the quarters against Man City where he was blistering to watch.Was it one game against Oxford where he tore his markers new one's and their defenders started to blame each other and almost came to blows_
RIP you were a legend, a warrior and a hero.

Was at this one too. They made us proud that day.
What a game, if Pop had stuck that one away just before ht, we'd have won it I'm sure.
Being a Sunderland fan just became more depressing today.
Thinking of Billy as a player, the super team he played in, the atmosphere, the match day experience then - gritty but non sanitised etc etc.
Living in the past? Yeah sometimes, but f##k me, no rose tinted specs here, footy was footy then and I'm so f***ing glad to have been in my teenage years then.
Get me a f***ing time machine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back