Billy Hughes, RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

RIP Billy, a genuinely great player who should have had more Scotland caps (competition was tough then like). Next to Marco and Tueart he is the most exciting player I have seen in a Sunderland shirt, just f***ing electric at his best. Like all of them he was great in the 73 final, even better against City and Arsehole, he played with absolute style. Represents so much to me, even knowing he was very ill the news brought a real lump to my throat. God bless you and thank you for the joy.

Such sad news. As most will know, Billy was a member of a truly exceptional footballing family. Loved him as a kid even though he was before my time, mainly on account of his family footballing links to Sunderland and Celtic and him being from the same town as my family.

RIP Billy. I’ll raise a drink tomorrow for him in Gallowgate.
The pride of Coatbridge .

Part of my teenage years gone. One of the players brought in and developed by Alan Brown when he came back to the club after McColl, and really blossomed after Vic Halom arrived. Sadly, he never seemed to make a full recovery from the bad broken log he suffered in, I think, 75/76.

Hopefully those who go on Boxing Day will be able to honour him with the minute's applause he richly deserves, and again in March when he's inducted into the Hall of Fame.

RIP Billy, and thanks for all the memories.

An exciting, Mercurial player.I have great memories Of him running at defences with pace. RIP.
Part of my teenage years gone. One of the players brought in and developed by Alan Brown when he came back to the club after McColl, and really blossomed after Vic Halom arrived. Sadly, he never seemed to make a full recovery from the bad broken log he suffered in, I think, 75/76.

Hopefully those who go on Boxing Day will be able to honour him with the minute's applause he richly deserves, and again in March when he's inducted into the Hall of Fame.

RIP Billy, and thanks for all the memories.
Lovely tributes, gentlemen. One of my favourites: loved his swagger & swashbuckle. Plus Billy's Shughes....

Peace be with him, his family & friends.

MY ALL TIME FAVOURITE S'land player. RIP Billy, thanks for the memories. My sincere condolences to all his remaining family.

A maverick, a hero for generations, one of the best. It's often forgotten how much he tormented the Arsenal defence in the '73 semi-final. He ripped a renowned back four to gibbering wrecks that day.

Your immortality is assured, Billy. No longer here but will always be with us.

Before my time, but my Dad was a teenager when he was playing for us so he will have watched him a lot at RP. I've watched the 73 cup final numerous times and seen other highlights from the cup run and other games. A Sunderland legend

RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back