Billy Hughes, RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part of my teenage years gone. One of the players brought in and developed by Alan Brown when he came back to the club after McColl, and really blossomed after Vic Halom arrived. Sadly, he never seemed to make a full recovery from the bad broken log he suffered in, I think, 75/76.

Hopefully those who go on Boxing Day will be able to honour him with the minute's applause he richly deserves, and again in March when he's inducted into the Hall of Fame.

RIP Billy, and thanks for all the memories.

I would like to see his picture put on the scoreboards in the eighth minute to separate him (in a nice way) from those in the remembrance tribute

Great player and we used to see him down Stressholme golf course down Darlington early 90’s time when he was clubhouse manager..RIP.
Aye, I spoke to the great man, a few times in the past, whenever I played at Stessholme.
He was always happy to chat about SAFC and his time, in the game.
Billy was a huge part of the jigsaw, that was the '73 cup winning team.
Each player had a specific role, and all combined, to make a very special team, made up of hard work, skill, determination, and a sheer will to win, to confound their critics and doubters, led by the man pulling the strings, Bob Stokoe (aka The Messiah).
Nobody in that team, was more skilful, or more entertaining to watch, than Billy Hughes, who played with a spring in his step, and a confident (not arrogant) swagger.
R.I.P Billy, and thanks for the memories.

Been off line most of the day and just picked this up.
Billy was one of those players you could always rely on to entertain. He had a knack of coming up with something to change a game and I’m privileged to have watched him when I was a teenager.

RIP

I didn't see it, but I've been told Look North's so called coverage of this was an absolute disgrace. No real surprise there like. Apparently they were more interested in showing Newcastle players in training.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back