Biggest wastes of talents ever in football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although not self inflicted I mean Duncan Edwards in the respect that he had the potential to be one of England’s greatest ever players.

I thought that would’ve been obvious what I meant but apparently not.

Matt Le Tissier. No the biggest waste ever but a great talent. Would love to have seen what he could do at a bigger team.

Matt Le Tissier. No the biggest waste ever but a great talent. Would love to have seen what he could do at a bigger team.

Think he was somewhat unprofessional and labelled a lazy player by some managers at the time.

It’s a good shout, had more ability than Cole, Shearer etc in the 90’s

People saying George Best? He did play over 300 games for Man Utd, winning the League title and European Cup over a 10 year spell. There wasn't much else he could have done really seeing as he was Irish and didn't get the chance to play in a major tournament

He won the European Cup at 22. A couple of years later, United were in decline and Best was in bother all over the place.

Imagine what he could have done if he'd kept focussed and fit? It was unlikely we'd ever see him in a World Cup but a more focussed professional could have kept his career alive at the very top level for another 6 years or more.

Oleg Blokhin. He was coveted by Ajax, Bayern Munich, Barcelona, St. Etienne and Real Madrid in the 70's and early 80's but the Soviet Union refused to let him leave. He was a class act on his one and only appearance on thr world stage at the 1982 World Cup, by which time he was in his 30's.

Just watched something very much like that but with ice hockey players, they had them all signed up to the army for 25 year and wouldn't let them leave and the players themselves wouldn't defect.

Self inflicted not those who were unlucky with injuries etc

-Billy Kenny - great player but a coke habit had him retired at 21
- Ravel Morrison - Seemed more concerned with playing a gangster than playing for Man Utd
Harry hooper. Brilliant winger for Sunderland, could have gone to the top but liked the highlife too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back