Biggest storm you have found yourself in

When I was a lad, the UK caught the tail end of hurricane Gilbert. I was at the caravan in frosterly at the time.

I remember pulling back the curtains in the morning and there was rivers of water flowing down the hillside, the site was flooded with a foot or so of water, the stream that ran past the site had burst its banks and was flowing like river rapids.

It was before mobile phones and the nearest phone box was about a mile away, my sister had to leap over fast flowing water to get to it, she would have been washed away if she hadn’t made it. We phones my dad and he care in his van to rescue us.

Don’t mind saying I was absolutely shitting myself.

The 1987 storm.

Was out at 6am doing my newspaper round, my heavy paperbag kept me on my feet. Was a challenge not to lose any newspapers before getting them through the letterboxes.

Plenty of people moaning that morning that their newspaper was a bit damp :rolleyes:

Didn’t give it much thought at the time, just thought it was a bit wet and windy!

That must have been the one, in my head it was hurricane Gilbert but just looked it up and that wasn’t til a year later.

All schools are closed here today because of a severe storm forecast. I'll be going to the bar to take full advantage of my day off. It's drizzling at the minute. Same forecast for tomorrow, haway the storms.

Was in Florida in 1997 when there were weather warnings. Ironically was riding those little teacups in the Magic Kingdom and other than some heavy rain, not much happened.

My neighbour's tree went through my bedroom window on that famous one that Micheal Fish failed to predict.

All schools are closed here today because of a severe storm forecast. I'll be going to the bar to take full advantage of my day off. It's drizzling at the minute. Same forecast for tomorrow, haway the storms.
They shut all ours on Tuesday, just incase. Lazy . Looks like you're getting it bad now?
Just seen this photo of a lightning storm, from my mate's place at Torrevieja. :eek:

Logon or register to see this image
🤔 Filters and timelapse maybe.

When my lass was piping me off and I had been bloated..I let out the biggest foul smelling fart I'd ever known....nevermind hurricane Katrina I got windmilled to fuck

I’ve been at Rockall on a 141ft trawler in a force 11 violent storm , we got flung all ower the Atlantic that night, luckily enough all the hatches were shut and we’d no major mishaps coz it was fuckin wild .

Slept through the Michael Fish storm, even tho' trees down all over.

Couldn't fly out of HK because of Typhoon Joe, though it didn't seem that bad.

Been in a few flash floods whilst camping but happily nought serious.

Was on a ferry to Santander /Bilbao many moons ago and the sea was so rough that the QE2 liner was on the news for having such a rough journey (in Bay of Biscay), was sick as a sick thing and had to spend whole trip out on the top deck.

Back