Biggest rail strike since the 80s

If we want a railway to be proud of then that means investing in high speed lines. Should have done it 30 years ago but better late than never.

Spending the money just on new trains might make the journeys more comfortable but doesn't increase capacity at all.
Spending money on new trains would be a massive start. Longer trains would increase capacity immediately. Shaving a few minutes off a journey between Birmingham and London is nowt. Investment in the infrastructure is what is needed along with trains fit for purpose. Not cramming people in like sardines.

Just read the stuff from RMT. That’s for 2022 payrise backdated. Strike action to be suspended and talks to resume in February 2024 to discuss pay rise for 2023 and workplace reforms.

BBCs coverage of the drivers strike this morning is nothing short of disgusting.

only interviewed people who neither care or know anything about the strikes and provide no 'balanced' view which they are apparently there to do.

BBCs coverage of the drivers strike this morning is nothing short of disgusting.

only interviewed people who neither care or know anything about the strikes and provide no 'balanced' view which they are apparently there to do.
Not wishing to start an argument but perhaps their reporting reflects what the average British citizen feels about the dispute. i.e. not really bothered.

Most people have bigger concerns like paying their bills and getting ready for Christmas.

Not wishing to start an argument but perhaps their reporting reflects what the average British citizen feels about the dispute. i.e. not really bothered.

Most people have bigger concerns like paying their bills and getting ready for Christmas.
no interviews with union officials, strikers or members. Only the average man on the street who is being put out by it. Sky do the same thing. Only difference is they are not paid for by the electorate and therefore are supposed to be impartial. They arnt.

Not arguing and I imagine plenty aren't bothered, but possibly because they are not as well informed as they should be. The same old trope of ''strikers causing the average Joe inconvenience '' with nothing to balance it out just leads to the government getting exactly what they want, less strength for the worker

Back