Biggest rail strike since the 80s

Won't have any impact on me and the first person I spoke to about it yesterday immediately trotted out "they all get paid about £60k p.a. already, what are they moaning about?". It's difficult to drum up any public support for strikes nowadays.

Won't have any impact on me and the first person I spoke to about it yesterday immediately trotted out "they all get paid about £60k p.a. already, what are they moaning about?". It's difficult to drum up any public support for strikes nowadays.
Union bloke on BBC1 just now suggested the average wage was £31k. (£600pw)

Last edited:
I'd say the first person you spoke to about it is very poorly informed then. It's signallers and infrastructure staff that are walking out. Average salary for their very important job is around 30k so half the 60 your friend decided upon. Not had a wage rise in 3 years and around a third under threat of losing their job over cutbacks to the network. Cutbacks were the main reason we had quite a few rail accidents in the 80s 90s and 00s.

I'd say the first person you spoke to about it is very poorly informed then. It's signallers and infrastructure staff that are walking out. Average salary for their very important job is around 30k so half the 60 your friend decided upon. Not had a wage rise in 3 years and around a third under threat of losing their job over cutbacks to the network. Cutbacks were the main reason we had quite a few rail accidents in the 80s 90s and 00s.
I totally agree.

Not a fan of Unions however they have laid critical foundations of what we have today in our work environment.
Mick Lynch comes across well , he’s paid to look after his people and a potential strike is all over the media today, his standing has created a realisation that talks must take place and resolve this problem.
Without the threat the employees will be ignored, if what Mick spoke about is true of course.
Government comments today explain the attitude of “get back to work and shut up”.

Back