Best Vietnam War Films....

Status
Not open for further replies.
The book is absolutely shocking but well worth reading. How the army turned on the helicopter pilot and treated him as a traitor when he tried to report it and the subsequent trial of Lt. Calley is an affront to justice. He served hardly any time and was released after huge protests by people saying he was a patriot and doing his duty. Since when has doing their duty included massacring 500 civilians including babies, women, and old people and committing rape and horrific acts of torture and mutilation. If that had been done by the Germans or Japanese in WWII they would have been prosecuted for crimes against humanity. The fact that they all got off scot free is a disgrace.

Max Hastings who released an impressive book on Vietnam was at Waterstones in Durham last year doing a talk in and I asked him if those who committed war crimes, in particular those at My Lai should be prosecuted, he said he didn`t think they should as too much time has passed for them to get a fair trial. I don`t agree, the evidence is there. Everyone knows the facts. They should pay for what they did and spend a significant time in prison.

The Vietnam War had reached Epping Forest :eek: :eek: :eek: No wonder the Americans were so keen to stop the spread of Communism, Who knows where it would have reached if they hadn`t gone in to bring them freedom and democracy.
I feel like I've already read enough just looking at the Wiki page marra - harrowing.

Born on the 4th of July. Powerful film.

Honourable mentions to Platoon, Hamburger Hill and Casualties of War.

I saw The Vietnam War on Netflix a few months back, excellent series.

If ECQ is eased your not far south from the apocalypse now and platoon filming locations.

Thanks, where abouts? Wouldn't mind looking that up at some point.
It was on You Tube in 4 parts. I read the book too. It`s really hard to put down and and page leaves you more enraged at the crimes that they committed.

Thanks, I will watch that over the weekend. I am planning to buy Massacre at My Lai DVD next time I'm back in UK, it's on Ebay for around a fiver.

Last edited:
The book is absolutely shocking but well worth reading. How the army turned on the helicopter pilot and treated him as a traitor when he tried to report it and the subsequent trial of Lt. Calley is an affront to justice. He served hardly any time and was released after huge protests by people saying he was a patriot and doing his duty. Since when has doing their duty included massacring 500 civilians including babies, women, and old people and committing rape and horrific acts of torture and mutilation. If that had been done by the Germans or Japanese in WWII they would have been prosecuted for crimes against humanity. The fact that they all got off scot free is a disgrace.

Max Hastings who released an impressive book on Vietnam was at Waterstones in Durham last year doing a talk in and I asked him if those who committed war crimes, in particular those at My Lai should be prosecuted, he said he didn`t think they should as too much time has passed for them to get a fair trial. I don`t agree, the evidence is there. Everyone knows the facts. They should pay for what they did and spend a significant time in prison.

The Vietnam War had reached Epping Forest :eek: :eek: :eek: No wonder the Americans were so keen to stop the spread of Communism, Who knows where it would have reached if they hadn`t gone in to bring them freedom and democracy.

Excellent informative post. I haven't read the book, but i certainly will now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back