Best Vietnam War Films....

Is that the one with Sean Penn and Michael J Fox - if so, that was excellent but very disturbing
Yep, its like The Killing Fields (which is on prime currently). Great film but i'm almost too worried about watching it !

Platoon and Apocalypse Now are probably the best two, closely followed by FMJ.

Honourable mentions:
Hamburger Hill
The Odd Angry Shot (Australian SAS in Vietnam, some lighthearted moments)
Danger Close (Recent Aussie Vietnam film currently on Amazon, pretty decent)
We Were Soldiers
Tigerland (sort of Vietnam)
The Boys In Company C
Casualties of War

That's about it before you get into the low budget stuff.

Last edited:
Wasn't aware of this before this afternoon - horrendous.
The book is absolutely shocking but well worth reading. How the army turned on the helicopter pilot and treated him as a traitor when he tried to report it and the subsequent trial of Lt. Calley is an affront to justice. He served hardly any time and was released after huge protests by people saying he was a patriot and doing his duty. Since when has doing their duty included massacring 500 civilians including babies, women, and old people and committing rape and horrific acts of torture and mutilation. If that had been done by the Germans or Japanese in WWII they would have been prosecuted for crimes against humanity. The fact that they all got off scot free is a disgrace.

Max Hastings who released an impressive book on Vietnam was at Waterstones in Durham last year doing a talk in and I asked him if those who committed war crimes, in particular those at My Lai should be prosecuted, he said he didn`t think they should as too much time has passed for them to get a fair trial. I don`t agree, the evidence is there. Everyone knows the facts. They should pay for what they did and spend a significant time in prison.
Full Metal Jacket, but only because I recognise where they filmed plenty of it. Epping Forest in particular.
The Vietnam War had reached Epping Forest :eek: :eek: :eek: No wonder the Americans were so keen to stop the spread of Communism, Who knows where it would have reached if they hadn`t gone in to bring them freedom and democracy.

Last edited:
Full Metal Jacket, but only because I recognise where they filmed plenty of it. Epping Forest in particular.

I was at a butterfly farm in Devon many years ago and they boasted they had a couple of the palm trees used in that film. Apparently the film makers only had a dozen palms so they planted them in skips and moved them about the set for each shot to make it look like there were loads of them. Love the fact they filmed a lot of it in Docklands.
The Vietnam War had reached Epping Forest :eek: :eek: :eek: No wonder the Americans were so keen to stop the spread of Communism, Who knows where it would have reached if they hadn`t gone in to bring them freedom and democracy.

The Domino Theory in action.

The book is absolutely shocking but well worth reading. How the army turned on the helicopter pilot and treated him as a traitor when he tried to report it and the subsequent trial of Lt. Calley is an affront to justice. He served hardly any time and was released after huge protests by people saying he was a patriot and doing his duty. Since when has doing their duty included massacring 500 civilians including babies, women, and old people and committing rape and horrific acts of torture and mutilation. If that had been done by the Germans or Japanese in WWII they would have been prosecuted for crimes against humanity. The fact that they all got off scot free is a disgrace.

Max Hastings who released an impressive book on Vietnam was at Waterstones in Durham last year doing a talk in and I asked him if those who committed war crimes, in particular those at My Lai should be prosecuted, he said he didn`t think they should as too much time has passed for them to get a fair trial. I don`t agree, the evidence is there. Everyone knows the facts. They should pay for what they did and spend a significant time in prison.

The book is an excellent read - shocking what happened.

Back