Best sportsperson never to reach number one in there field

Stirling Moss - F1 racing driver. He never got to be World Champion which most thought he would be as he was getting very close to it. Unfortunately a bad racing accident in 1962 put him in to a coma for 6 months. By some amazing chance he managed to survive and came out of it almost intact but sadly not fit enough to race again. He lived until 2020 when he was 90.

For years after anyone who drove too fast would be asked.... "Who do you think you are .. Stirling Moss?". I think that only us oldies say that now but it would be nice if like similar turns of phrase it survived in the English language and in the future people were left asking "Who the hell was this Moss bloke anyway and what has he got to do with my driving?"

I don't blame tennis players for doing it when ranking makes a big difference to tournament seeding - rather face a Federer/Djokovic in the quarters or semis and make three times the prize money than crash into them in the first round. Golf, not sure - does it help with their prospects in the majors, Ryder Cup etc?
it definitely helps their bank balance! prize money in golf is insane.

For years tiger woods caddie Steve Williams was the highest paid "sportsman" from New Zealand.

Back