Best sportsperson never to reach number one in there field

Dani Pedrosa

Would have been a multi-time MotoGP champion in just about any other era but was unfortunate enough to be around at the same time as 4 all-time great talents in Rossi, Lorenzo, Stoner and Marquez.

Last edited:
Dani Pedrosa

Would have been a multi-time MotoGP champion in just about any other era but was unfortunate enough to be around at the same time as 4 all-time great talents in Rossi, Lorenzo, Stoner and Marquez.
Dani was still riding until recently acting as development rider for KTM.

Dani had a terrible injury record and that stopped him pushing for top spot. He was a tiny bloke so was ideal for a motoGP rider once he developed the necessary strength needed to throw a motoGP bike around.

But those riders you named are right up there with the best riders ever.

In some of these sports isn't there an element of being able to game the system based on the ranking points of various tournaments, and there's so many that if you can play tournaments specifically to boost your ranking?
yeah thats pretty much how Donald go to number 1, he played in a LOT of tournaments and tbf he did well but I don't think he's in anyones head as one of the greats, likewise westwood who he took the number one spot from.

yeah thats pretty much how Donald go to number 1, he played in a LOT of tournaments and tbf he did well but I don't think he's in anyones head as one of the greats, likewise westwood who he took the number one spot from.

I don't blame tennis players for doing it when ranking makes a big difference to tournament seeding - rather face a Federer/Djokovic in the quarters or semis and make three times the prize money than crash into them in the first round. Golf, not sure - does it help with their prospects in the majors, Ryder Cup etc?

Back