Best sportsperson never to reach number one in there field

Just been reading despite winning six majors and 45 PGA tour events lefty never reached number one in the world. Obviously bit unfortunate for his pomp to coincide with Tiger Woods career but got me thinking of others who may fall into that bracket. Obviously this will only apply to sports where official rankings take place

Just been reading despite winning six majors and 45 PGA tour events lefty never reached number one in the world. Obviously bit unfortunate for his pomp to coincide with Tiger Woods career but got me thinking of others who may fall into that bracket. Obviously this will only apply to sports where official rankings take place

Not sure if it's quite the same thing but Paolo Maldini and Thierry Henry were arguably unlucky never to be voted world player of the year (under the various different names it's gone by)

Jurgen Hingsen? Great decathlete and a world record holder, but usually finished second in the major games to Daley Thompson who was a genius

Another German, Harald Schmid was a great 400m hurdler and European champion, competed at the same time as Ed Moses though

Last edited:
Earnie Shavers never won a world title. Lost to Ali and Larry Holmes in world title fights.

Not sure if Jimmy White was either
nope, highest was number 2
and yet luke (mr no majors) donald was ranked number 1 for a while.

Raymond Poulidor, the French cyclist nicknamed the Eternal Second.
Started his pro career racing against the great Jacques Anquetil.
When JA retired, a young Eddie Merckx arrived and won everything.

Back