Best Power Tool Brand

Erbauer and DeWalt, never had issues with either. Got a Makita drill at home and it's weak as piss, think it's a b and q exclusive though so not a proper one,even the battery is different. Recently bought a Milwaukee impact and it's absolutely shite for the money. I borrowed a parkside impact and it was totally useless but they were only like £50 to buy.

I get what you are saying but you don't want to go too cheap as it won't be up to the job and probably wont last. I would always try to buy something decent. Mind with drills the quality of bit is just as important if not more. I chewed the walls up trying to put some curtain rails up, I blamed the soft crumbly walls. Bought a Bosch bit and it was perfect.
All depends what folks are using it for, putting a picture up once a year, I wouldn’t pay much tbh.
I hammer the cordless stuff each day so the cheap stuff like ryobi, b+d, dewalt etc just wouldn’t last the course so worth buying decent kit for the longevity factor and the same batteries across the range
As for drills, mainly sds anyway so even the cheap ones last a while, multi saw blades are like 50 for 20 quid from the Chinese lads instead of 5 for 25quid and they don’t last any longer really.
Diamond bits and grinder wheels for porcelain are worth paying the price for like

Last edited:

ATM it’s Milwaukee for the above average stuff.

Unless your an absolute weapon and a weirdo and go ott for the likes of Festool. Overpriced for site work.

All Sparkies use Makita .

Heavy duty gear like breakers etc Hilti .

Unless your an absolute weapon and a weirdo and go ott for the likes of Festool. Overpriced for site work.

Seems to be where most of the deals are with Milwaukee as they try and muscle in on Makitas territory

Makita, good customer service too.

When it comes to non power tools so to speak, what we thinking of snap-on? Overpriced shite or the bees knees?

Don't buy the Ryobi accessories like drill bits and driver bits, complete rubbish.
Happy with all of the tools so far, fine for the DIYer.
I read that about Ryobi - and all those funny middle aisle type brands on amazon as well as it happens. Seems a popular complaint.

I bought a drill over Christmas and settled on Bosch. Seems decent for whst I want. Did better on reviews etc.

DeWalt, and to a lesser extent Makita seem popular with the lad at work. I decided they're too expensive for the reluctant DIYer though. Bosch green'll do ya and loadsa offers round Black Friday n all the other sales.

I've got Bosch and Makita tools from the late eighties and they just go on and on. They never go wrong but I doubt the modern equivalent is the same.
For cordless all my stuff is AEG. If I was buying cordless tools now I'd go for Milwaukee Fuel or Makita.

I’m crap at DIY. I have a puny Bosch screwdriver to screw in the 8 screws I screw a year.

I am rather good at paying professionals to do the job properly.

They all seem to use DeWalt or Makita and none of them have to plug them in they are ALL battery powered.

So I would go with one of those two.

I know this is a hot topic amongst you superstar tradesmen, as I’ve seen family members almost come to blows over it, but let’s hear it then. Which is best?
Hilti for the superstars and dry liners, Makita for most other trades for value for money. Got a full Makita set and tbh spot on, use them daily at work.

Last edited:
Festool sanders are the dogs for Corian work.
Tbf most brands have a couple of stand out tools. The rest are pretty samey.
FEIN look like they have some nice stuff.
Available at screwfix I’ve noticed too. They were always just engineers tools iirc.

Last edited:
Most of mine are Bosch and a lot of them the 18v cordless so run off the same pack.
Done me grand for the DIY I do. Ended up getting 18v garden tools from Bosch too.
My old hammer drill my dad bought me when I bought my first place was Bosch so I think that is why I went with them. He's a legendary DIYer.

The little 12v ones are idea for kitchen fitting, only Bosch things I have but have served well for cabinets
Some of the tools in that Bosch blue 12v range are excellent for smaller jobs around the house, eg jigsaw, drill, multi tool, planer. Very handy and capable. For bigger stuff I like Makita 18v, even have the lawnmower which takes two batteries.

The bloke who fitted our kitchen (who was useless) had the complete festool kit, I thought it looked pretty cool as it all stacked together nicely but he was useless so don't know how good it actually was, had to Google the price 😳

I’m a light diy user, i have a mix of b&d, Bosch, erbauer, titan, and a macallister (mitre saw). They have all been great for my casual use although the only battery kit i have is a b&d drill driver. I use the right tool for the right job and buy decent drill bits etc and have never had an issue. I buy based on the level of user i am and the frequency i’ll use the tool.
I find when friends / acquaintances complain about tools it’s because they are using the wrong tool for the wrong job, a friend went mad because his b&d drill driver blew up after only using it 4 times. I asked what he was doing, he told me he was drilling brickwork (old victorian house) outside to put a hanging basket bracket up. I told him that i would have used my sds drill as the motor in a small drill driver isn't up to that kind of job, “well i bought a drill and expect it to drill” was the answer.
The bloke who fitted our kitchen (who was useless) had the complete festool kit, I thought it looked pretty cool as it all stacked together nicely but he was useless so don't know how good it actually was, had to Google the price 😳
Full kit w@nker, get them everywhere. When i worked in golf i’d get a newly retired guy walk in to the pro shop every week, looked like ping had thrown up on them, couldn’t hit a barn door with a banjo.

Last edited:

Back