Best Power Tool Brand

Dave Herbal

Striker
I know this is a hot topic amongst you superstar tradesmen, as I’ve seen family members almost come to blows over it, but let’s hear it then. Which is best?

I have a Black & Decker drill from the 60s that my dad used to use, so I'll say that. No doubt they "don't make 'em like they used to" and are now put together in Chinese sweatshops.
I once took two B&D drills into a drill repair shop and they just looked at me like I was an idiot. “We only repair professional drills”.

I worked for B&D / De Walt back in the day.
The minimum endurance test pass for a B&D drill was 21 mins continual running, which is ample as most domestic users drill 8 holes per year. However some of the DeWalt (supposedly professional) range were just B&D tools in a yellow case. Id go for Makita or Milwaukee for professional use or literally anything for a standard DIY'er

I've got 2 old Spit hammer drills and they are spot on. Corded, one 110 and one 240.

Don't know if they do cordless/battery or not. But it's probably at least 15 years since i bought any power tools.

De-walt, Makita and Bosch have all served me well, and still do.

I'm assuming it's for home use, Ryobi, not stupid prices, corded or cordless, you can get snide batteries cheaper if you want cordless.

Best are much more expensive which I'm assuming you don't need, a Mercedes isn't much different to Toyota.

Hilti
Festool

Over engineered and expensive for what most people use.

I always used Makita but now stick with DeWalt - not what they were according to some - but interchangeable batteries etc mean you only have to have a couple battery chargers and they are very durable, I dropped a DeWalt drill off a roof once and it bounced a couple of times but still worked (the drill bit snapped though).

all my gear is Makita, apart from an einhell mitre saw that I needed in a hurry and its spot on.

apart from nail guns they're all pretty much or a muchness between Makita, Milwaukee and dewalt when youre looking at 18v gear I reckon.

I think most nail guns are meant to be a bit crap anarl unless its a gas powered paslode.

The dewalt drill I bought has been one of my best purchases.

Used lots of Milwaukee .. much of a muchness in the pro gear.

I have a Screwfix own brand erbaur reciprocal saw and thats solid as anything for the price I paid

Depends on how much you want to pay and what your using it for. I've have cheap tools that have lasted ages and expensive ones that didn't.

The DIYer can really get away with anything as they aren't going to be in daily constant use.
Ryobi, Bosch, B&D etc are all fine for drilling the odd hole etc
I'd look at the ranges of tools that you can get for one battery, that way you can save cash buying bare tools without buying batteries and chargers for every tool.

If your a tradesman your probably looking at Makita or Milwaukee for a fair mix of quality, product range, reliability and repairability

If you have cash to burn look at Festool and Hilti, but why pay £500 for a drill that you're going to use 2 or 3 times a year.

Many brands are made by the same people for different markets,
Ryobi and Milwaukee are both made by TTI
B&D make B&D, Dewalt, Stanley

Back