Best of ,Greatest hits albums

The winner. The Very Best of the Eagles (1994). Not to be confused with the more bloated double disc The Complete Greatest Hits (2003) that in America was also released as Eagles: The Very Best Of.

All their best songs. None of the crap filler that permeates their entire back catalogue. All the Eagles you could ever possibly want or need.
All The Eagles I’ll ever need is on one side of a 7” single: Life In The Fast Lane. The rest is awful stuff. Love Henleys solo stuff though.....and Smugglers Blues.....and Lifes Been Good.
Pet shop boys.
Robert Marley.
PSB first album is great. Rest are 80-90% filler.
Marleys first four of five Island albums are great anarl.
The Stones.
Four albums as good as anything anyone working in the popular music lark ever produced.
Friggin' hell where've you been.

I think the Very Best of is a more concise 'best of', whereas Snap has a few B sides n that on, which being honest I can live without. Smithers Jones, Butterfly Collector... I realise they're cult favourites with Jam fans but they dint dee a lot for me.
Two great songs there. You’re not doing your ears rep any good here marra!
I was a dan. 40 odd years ago when I was a youth. :lol:
When you were desperate....
E-bow The Letter is off New Adventures which is my personal fave album of theirs.
Probably the most diverse collection of songs they ever recorded.

Murmur is considered one of the finest Alternative/Indie debut albums of all time.

Lifes Rich Pageant has one of the finest four song openings ever for me.
The rest of the record is really strong too.

Green (their debut major label release) is really highly considered too.

One of my best friends isn’t a massive REM fan but he absolutely loves Document as a one off affair.

I know @Arkle is a big fan of them also.
Anything else to add?
Document n Green are awful albums.
If I might just butt in here... :p

If I had a gun put to my head and was forced to choose two REM albums, I think I'd probably go for Document and Green -they came out consecutively (87 & 88) and mark a significant change in their career and sound - Document was the last album on their indie label, and Green was the first for a major label, Warner. They both capture a lot of their early quirky Indie sound, but Green introduces the more polished 'big' songs that made them 'The Biggest Band in the World' and stadium fillers.

Murmur was like nothing you'd ever heard before. I remember getting it when it came cos it was raved about in the NME, and I was a bit underwhelmed at the time - probably because it was so unusual after having been into punk and indie for a few years. After about ten plays trying to 'get' it I was hooked.
WTF!

Last edited:
Friggin' hell where've you been.

I think the Very Best of is a more concise 'best of', whereas Snap has a few B sides n that on, which being honest I can live without. Smithers Jones, Butterfly Collector... I realise they're cult favourites with Jam fans but they dint dee a lot for me.

Alright Chris, did you miss me 😄 how are you keeping marra, hope your well, if not seemingly a little grumpy in your older age.

I'm always around but rarely post now, PF is a gonk riddled car crash and there's only soamy times you can post your favourite cover version or flavour of crisps. Mind the two warnings at work haven helped my post count.

Anyway back on topic, I still have to disagree, I was nothing more than a passing acquaintance with Weller and co before Snap showed me they could do other stuff than shouty angsty punky pop. Good as it may be through the likes of Butterfly Collector, Smithers Jones, English Rose, When You're Young et al, I realised what a great band a quality songwriter Weller was.

Which in turn led me to listen to the mastery of the likes of Setting Sons. 😎

Not really,more than a couple of good tunes on the greatest hits .Bands with cracking singles .Some had great albums to match .I Joined and left The Jam at All mod cons then setting sons and those albums are outstanding .Lost interest when everyone started to love them (going underground malice etc )

Well there's one thing we agree on Jazzy, or is that two 😄

Daft punk
Chemical brothers
Faithless

Wouldn't know where to start apart from their hits

not entirely sure about Faithless, but certainly the other two have certainly wrote classic albums.
Daft Punk - Homework
Chemical Brothers - exit planet dust
Chemical brothers- Surrender.

Stonewall classics if you’re into electronic music

Last edited:
Nope. Fables of the Reconstruction is weaker than Document, Out of Time is weaker than Green.
Out Of Time was the megastardom years. Wasn’t that good though.
Documents awfulman. It came out when I was traipsing around the US for the third n final time on holiday and I listened to it constantly On Walkman. Nivver been so disappointed in an album ever. I can’t believe an earned up human being would find owt more than a couple of songs on it interesting.

Back