Best of ,Greatest hits albums

Sometimes people can only do decent singles and their albums are dross

You wouldn't know that though without exploring records outside of the greatest hits.

And in my experience, if you like enough songs to enjoy a greatest hits the liklihood is you will like other songs as much, or more.

First 3 albums are very good throughout.
They're not like.
Bruce Springsteen. Far too many albums to get involved with.
Disagree wholeheartedly.

Given it's a chronological overview of his career up until the point it was released in 1995, his Greatest Hits set runs out of steam towards the end, which pretty much echoed his own career at the time. I know he won the Oscar for Streets of Philadelphia, but it's not a great song in my opinion, and that along with the four 'new' tracks on there, as well as those from his albums without the E Street Band just don't stack up against his earlier material that dominates the first half of the CD. At the time of release it came before the critically acclaimed Ghost of Tom Joad and his reunion with The E Street Band that would kick start his resurgence was still another seven years away. It also criminally overlooks his first two albums.

Greatest Hits might serve as an OK introduction to the first twenty years of his career, but it's by no means a definitive representation of his best work.

The Essential Bruce Springsteen may give a broader insight, but it's still light on what makes him great.

Start with Born To Run and Born In The USA, then Darkness On The Edge of Town and The River. Then ya hooked.

Last edited:
The Beatles.
Did some cracking songs, but spread over a long period of time and a fair few albums, with a lot of poor/weird stuff mixed in with the classics. Greatest Hits works perfectly for me. I can listen to the singalong stuff in the car without skipping too many tracks or changing CD every few songs. Not saying all their other album stuff is crap, its just not for me.

What annoys me is when bands release Greatest Hits albums when they've only really had a few half decent songs.

The Eagles
The winner. The Very Best of the Eagles (1994). Not to be confused with the more bloated double disc The Complete Greatest Hits (2003) that in America was also released as Eagles: The Very Best Of.

All their best songs. None of the crap filler that permeates their entire back catalogue. All the Eagles you could ever possibly want or need.

Start with Born To Run and Born In The USA, then Darkness On The Edge of Town and The River. Then ya hooked.
Cannot disagree but the first two are also fantastic as well.
Dont understand why you wouldnt get amongst the albums if you think the greatest hits is class.
Some bands Greatest Hits are one song. Some are very lucky to get three or four. Greatest Hits are ideal if you just like their bangers and want to avoid the plodders. However, streaming services have made this irrelevant.

Last edited:

Back