Best moment in cricket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Either watching my son having to retire not out in a cup final, he also done same in semi, or his first catch/stumping as a wickie.

Or winning a Clydesdale Bank comp for 4 adults and 11 kids for the CB40 Final between Somerset and Surrey at Lords in 2011 including Q&A with Alec Stewart and Alistair Cook, along with Lords hampers between us(just worth it for the look on the kids faces when they opened them that they didnt like anything in them)

Playing- Chasing 170 ish to win and I am running out of partners.

Into the last over and we are 9 down needing 5 and yours truly has the strike. Block em or go for it?

I just said to myself- "have a look, if there is one in your zone then go for it."

First ball of the over- full of length- just outside off. Put my foot straight through it and it cleared the houses over long on.

We might have played against each other the year before. We (Murton) were scudded off Horden Seconds in one of the cup's. The difference between Coast League and Senior League was large back then.

Just watching CNN report about the West Indies rebel trip to South Africa 30 years ago. Graeme Pollock was on and that reminded me about the time I saw him playing in the Callers Pegasus comp in Newcastle. He was a class act.

We might have played against each other the year before. We (Murton) were scudded off Horden Seconds in one of the cup's. The difference between Coast League and Senior League was large back then.

Just watching CNN report about the West Indies rebel trip to South Africa 30 years ago. Graeme Pollock was on and that reminded me about the time I saw him playing in the Callers Pegasus comp in Newcastle. He was a class act.

Pretty sure that was the rebel tour Hordens old pro Derek Parry went on and I am pretty certain we played Murton in that cup run I mentioned so I must have got my years mixed up

Pretty sure that was the rebel tour Hordens old pro Derek Parry went on and I am pretty certain we played Murton in that cup run I mentioned so I must have got my years mixed up

The year I am thinking of was definitely 1990, my last season for Murton.

Parry was a class act. Franklyn Stephenson was on that tour and possibly Colin Croft, all cracking players.

Seeing Simon Davies take 7-32 for Durham as a minor county V Lancashire in the Nat West at Ropery Lane about 1981 or 2.

Shane warne dropping kp and the ensuing onslaught, hoggards cover drive off McGrath at Trent bridge, tremletts wicket to win the ashes at Sydney

Playing, first first team fifty, or running the best bat of our min rivals out on the long boundary with a direct hit

2 for me and both at Headingley

!979 and Geoff Boycott's 100th 100 in the Ashes test

1981 and Ian Botham's assault on the Aussie attack followed by Bob Willis' astonishing display of hostility.

Few personal ones.

Remember being about 13 and turning up to Silksworth for the under 18s cup final, Thought i was playing but got dropped last minute for someone else. I was gutted and had to do the scoring, Anyway our opener at the time Cuppa (Washy) batted superbly throughout the 35 overs and come the end was so knackered with cramp he couldn't walk. (He was our wicketkeeper aswell), so i had to come on to field. The game looked like it was slipping away from us and then someone hit the ball to me as i was on the line at square leg, ran in and launched it in, direct hit at one stump and the partnership was broken, We went on to win the game. :lol: Surreal.

Then around 4 years later captaining the Washy under 18 side at the same place in the same cup final. We absolutely destroyed Bill Quay, we batted first and scored about 180 from our 35 then bowled them out for about 30.

Most proud was probably last year winning the second team cup final at Hylton in my first season as captain. We bowled first and had an absolute f***ing nightmare, Fielded shite and they got around 180. We got in after 'tea' and decided to change the batting order from normal, hoping to get off to a flyer with some big hitters, We indeed did that and managed to cruise to victory winning it with about 3 overs to spare.

Great memories. :cool:

Ottis's 2 in 2 at Lords, first 2 balls of Hampshire's innings. I thought the top deck was going to lift off the Compton Stand.

Scoring a ton or playing a beautiful cover drive off Lance Cairns in the nets at Whitburn.

I've had plenty of good scores in pressure situations particularly at second and third team level but I always think back to a school game (U16s) and we played Ryton Comp away and they had Ian Smith (ex Durham) and a lad called Paul Carrick who was an excellent junior cricketer. They just cut a wicket in the middle of their football field, we had no helmets and inadequate equipment and Smith in particular bowled really quickly with the ball flying off a length. I got hit loads of times, was ducking and diving and carried my bat for 25 not out as we were bowled out for 45 :lol:

My last game of cricket was about 4 years ago which was a third team cup final against Washy. I had scored loads of runs that year but we were 2 for 2 and I put on 60 for the third wicket before getting out for 20 odd. We won and it was a good way to finish my career.

Last edited:
England - Headingley 1981

The Doms - Everything around the FTP Trophy Win
- Snatching victory from the lower intestine of defeat vs Somerset I think. Breese got 160 odd.
- Benks and Otis's stand that saved us from relegation in the mid 2000s, Notts went down as they only got 1 point from their game.

Me - scoring a ton or taking 6 - 9 at Nowton.

another one here ..

mark newton at long on boundry at clara vale v ncastle city needed 6 off last ball cup match i bowled the batter hit me miles up to long on mark ran jumped just before line he caught it on his tits greener smithy me our kid and the whole team mobbed him as it was a semi final when we got up mark was still lying their in agony [ the ball was pushed into his ribs by greeners and our weights ] mark was the worst feilder in the history of clara vale cc thats why we went mental happy days ..

Best - watching Colly hit the winning runs to win the 2010 T20 WC.
Worst - missing the presentation for the above as I had to scarper to catch my flight back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back