Best live act?

I've seen all of my favourites live, most of them more than once. Daryl Hall and John Oates and their band are the finest musicians I've seen.
The best concert I've been to was George Benson at Sheffield Arena some years ago. Marty Pellow was on first and he had loads of young lasses screaming and dancing from the off. I said to our lass poor old George would have his work cut out.
It was a breeze, he came on and blew everyone away.The whole place was dancing, what a voice and what a guitar player. His version of Unchained Melody and Greatest Love of All had me in tears.
A true star.

I’ve been to many, which I know makes that statement unfashionable. I’m not sure what THE best gig would be, however Travis were always there, under rated & over performed.
I was taking the piss but I've always found them offensively wet and dreary. Before you ask I haven't seen them live but it would be a stunning reversal of the evidence I've seen thus far for me to enjoy it. Not my can of pop.

I was taking the piss but I've always found them offensively wet and dreary. Before you ask I haven't seen them live but it would be a stunning reversal of the evidence I've seen thus far for me to enjoy it. Not my can of pop.

To be fair to Travis, they were a bit more lively and upbeat before their second album which was the one they really got the recognition for. They used to jump about the stage and everything. Plus the tunes were louder and faster.
When they're playing the riverside I'm guessing it's before their second album so could imagine it being a raucous gig

Best live band ever, in my opinion, Queen. Never seen them though so basing it off videos/LPs.

Best 3 bands I’ve seen live

Presidents Of The United States Of America
Ash
Iron Maiden

Honourable mentions to Nofx, Bad Religion, MxPx, Bjork and Foo Fighters who were all excellent too.

Worst I’ve seen, by a country mile, Red Hot Chili Peppers

To be fair to Travis, they were a bit more lively and upbeat before their second album which was the one they really got the recognition for. They used to jump about the stage and everything. Plus the tunes were louder and faster.
When they're playing the riverside I'm guessing it's before their second album so could imagine it being a raucous gig
Fair play but they come from the time when there were countless mid tempo guitar whingers clogging up the charts.

Best live band ever, in my opinion, Queen. Never seen them though so basing it off videos/LPs.

Best 3 bands I’ve seen live

Presidents Of The United States Of America
Ash
Iron Maiden

Honourable mentions to Nofx, Bad Religion, MxPx, Bjork and Foo Fighters who were all excellent too.

Worst I’ve seen, by a country mile, Red Hot Chili Peppers
I really can't stand the Chilli Peppers but I have it on good authority that I've seen them live. I can only imagine I moaned all the way through.

Fair play but they come from the time when there were countless mid tempo guitar whingers clogging up the charts.

Yes, a glorious time in guitar music.
The post-Britpop lull which inspired the NME or Melody Maker (i forget which) to call it New Acoustic Movement in their desperate search to manufacture a scene.
Travis, Coldplay, Terris, Turin Brakes, Starsailor were among the front runners.
Edit: I forgot about Badly Drawn Boy winning the 2000 Mercury prize.

Then The Strokes, White Stripes and The Hives all seemed blow up at the same time.

Sorry for saying blow up, but it felt better than "explode onto the scene" or "break through".

Yes, a glorious time in guitar music.
The post-Britpop lull which inspired the NME or Melody Maker (i forget which) to call it New Acoustic Movement in their desperate search to manufacture a scene.
Travis, Coldplay, Terris, Turin Brakes, Starsailor were among the front runners.
Edit: I forgot about Badly Drawn Boy winning the 2000 Mercury prize.

Then The Strokes, White Stripes and The Hives all seemed blow up at the same time.

Sorry for saying blow up, but it felt better than "explode onto the scene" or "break through".
No bother. :lol:
It says a lot that Badly Drawn Boy is by far the most interesting out of that lot.

No bother. :lol:
It says a lot that Badly Drawn Boy is by far the most interesting out of that lot.

I didn't mind Starsailor. Reminded me of The Verve in some ways. They done Top of The Pops around January 2001, then had a pretty big hit with Good Souls in the April, and NME had them on the cover. The following week NME done an I 'heart' NY cover, mentioned the strokes and a few others who were hot but unknown at the time. Fickle business.

I was a right music nerd back then.

Super Furry Animals always put on a good show.

Yes a very underrated and overlooked band.

Last edited:
This bar is usually featured on any threads requesting places to drink in Glasgow--it always is if I spot them!
Think it was the drummer that worked there and got the rehearsing spot sorted--speaks volumes of Travis and pub itself in article.
Mind last time I was up there they had been removed while having a refurb
http://www.nme.com/news/music/travis-166-1392537

Back