Best live act?

The biggies clearly have something but it's a bit showbiz for me
Japanese band Electric eel shock played to 40 of us upstairs in the Dog and parrot like they were playing Maddison square gardens
Presidents of the Usa getting everyone in the academy to sit on the floor for a song

Neil Young with Crazy horse, Waterboys in smaller venue. Iron Maiden
Ralph Mctell and Roger Mcguinn were both spot on at Customs house with fantastic guitar work and cracking links with stories to some songs:cool:

R
Ralph Mctell and Roger Mcguinn were both spot on at Customs house with fantastic guitar work and cracking links with stories to some songs:cool:
Roger McGuinn in Shields! Wtf? Muhammad Ali, Joolio Arca and now Roger McGuinn! They can’t all of been lost!

The very reason I’d love to see Stevie Wonder. I love a lot of his stuff but the vast majority has been shite......but they reckon the place goes wild.
It was f***ing mindblowing mate. The quality of his repertoire, the stunning band (the bass player was about 6 foot 9, playing a 6 string bass longer than me, wearing a white suit and white furry fedora). I was nearly crying.

For pure storytelling between songs has to be Chip Taylor for me, what an interesting life he's had and wrote some cool songs to boot, and it was at The Ropery with probably 50-60 people there, class.

Stories between songs? Kenny Rogers.
I've only seen him on the telly and the Glastonbury gig he did a few years ago. He was topper.

Love Stevie mind, does he still tour?
He played Hyde Park last year I think. The gigs he did when I saw him were the first he'd done in Britain in about 15 years or summat. If he tours again, and I can't impress this enough on you, f***ing GO.

Last edited:
For pure storytelling between songs has to be Chip Taylor for me, what an interesting life he's had and wrote some cool songs to boot, and it was at The Ropery with probably 50-60 people there, class.
yes seen him there as well and he was very good. they used to have some great bands/acts on back in the day. Cannit remember the lad's name who used to put them on--tallish, dark hair and cannit remember if he had glasses on. He generally use to introduce them and played a bit himself if I remember rightly?
Saw Hootie and the blowfish at city hall and their support was another american band who played at Ropery a week or 2 later--Jolene another great night there:D:cool:

The 2 best showmen were Mercury & Lynott by a country mile and then some.

No one else comes close. Grohl is ok on his day but nowhere near either of the aforementioned.
Grohl is an incredible drummer and obviously a lovely bloke. For me though he doesn't quite cut it as a rock front man.

Travis at the Riverside will always make me think they’d hold their own with anyone, ‘live’.
You haven't been to that many gigs have you?

Arcade Fire are special live
I forgot about them. Really really good live.

Back