Best city , Leeds or Newcastle

Never been able to decide, always thought it was a bit nip and tuck, with little between the two , but having visited Leeds for first time since late 90s, I have to say I now think Leeds is far better than Newcastle , in terms of pubs, restaurants and shops.

Manchester

Manchester

A choice between Newcastle and Leeds and you've chosen Manchester. Bet you're great at multiple choice exams :lol:

Never understand this when people say the Quayside. I’ve just moved away from there and there’s only a few bars down there and they’re mostly crap. Which places do you go to?

The Quayside is great in that it's a lovely stroll into Ouseburn.

Best drinking area in the centre of Newcastle these days is around/close to the station (not the shite Geordie Shore strip part mind). Split Chimp, Box Social, Telegraph, Head of Steam, Forth and the Jazz place (is it still open?).

Last edited:
A choice between Newcastle and Leeds and you've chosen Manchester. Bet you're great at multiple choice exams :lol:

The Quayside is great in that it's a lovely stroll into Ouseburn.

Best drinking area in the centre of Newcastle these days is around/close to the station (not the shite Geordie Shore strip part mind). Split Chimp, Box Social, Telegraph, Head of Steam, Forth and the Jazz place (is it still open?).
Aye Ouseburn is canny. Away there later to cook house for food.

Leeds has the bigger city feel but Newcastle is more pleasing on the eye, mainly because it has the river and quayside area - and Grey Street not far up from that. If the distance to both was equal and I was given a choice out of them for a day out I’d choose Newcastle.

Liverpool is probably me favourite city in the UK not including London.

Had a nosey at it the other day, does look smart.
Got a proper lunch and dinner menu now as well. Used to like the old place but never felt like I’d had a proper meal. Food here is very different. What with that and Kaltur in town there’s a smashing few restaurants about now.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Trakol gets a Michelin Star in the next list and also Hjem in Hexham.

Got a proper lunch and dinner menu now as well. Used to like the old place but never felt like I’d had a proper meal. Food here is very different. What with that and Kaltur in town there’s a smashing few restaurants about now.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Trakol gets a Michelin Star in the next list and also Hjem in Hexham.

I know what you mean about not feeling like you'd ate much. Will have to try it now. Never heard of Trakol. What is it? Been to the place in Hexham. Paid about 50 quid for a boat load of courses. Tremendous.

Leeds has the bigger city feel but Newcastle is more pleasing on the eye, mainly because it has the river and quayside area - and Grey Street not far up from that. If the distance to both was equal and I was given a choice out of them for a day out I’d choose Newcastle.

Liverpool is probably me favourite city in the UK not including London.

Liverpool gets a bit of stick but I really like it. Mind I prefer Manchester, got a bit of an edge/vibe about it for me. London is obviously best of the lot for a visit.

Why comfortably? I’m not disagreeing I think they’re pretty similar but don’t understand why it would be that much better.
I just think it's a much nice city. Shops are better with trinity, the Victorian bit, and a couple of other arcades. Restaurants are better. Bars probably similar, but personally prefer those in Leeds. Much better large scale music venue. Leeds has headingley for the cricket and headingley itself is a great area for a night out. Choice of hotels for stopping over far better in Leeds. Granary wharf around Leeds is great. Just much prefer it. But all about personal preference tbf.

I know what you mean about not feeling like you'd ate much. Will have to try it now. Never heard of Trakol. What is it? Been to the place in Hexham. Paid about 50 quid for a boat load of courses. Tremendous.
Trakol is the Scandinavian wood fire restaurant on Gateshead side in the shipping containers. Michelin have deffo been there and have a look at these....

Träkol, Gateshead: ‘Outrageously good’ – restaurant review | Jay Rayner

TOM PARKER BOWLES: Träkol - global cuisine with a view of the Tyne | Daily Mail Online

Always hated Leeds and think Newcastle is a very nice City spoiled by the football club if we are talking just for drinking I'd say Liverpool beats both

Trakol is the Scandinavian wood fire restaurant on Gateshead side in the shipping containers. Michelin have deffo been there and have a look at these....

Träkol, Gateshead: ‘Outrageously good’ – restaurant review | Jay Rayner

TOM PARKER BOWLES: Träkol - global cuisine with a view of the Tyne | Daily Mail Online

Ah right, I know that place. Only ever go there for a drink. I think I'd prefer if it was a bit more separated from drinkers but will give it a whirl as those reviews are excellent.

Last edited:
If you'd asked that 10 years ago, I'd have said Newcastle. All the recent investment in Leeds has taken it beyond though, the north end of the City Centre is different class for drinks and bait.

Back