Berlin

Would you recommend it for an 11 year old? Or is the sights more catered towards adults/teens?
The wife wants to go there at half-term, where I reckon Rome will be more interesting for him at his current age.

What did you end up seeing/doing?
We might be going in a few weeks.
We mainly did WW2 stuff - we are both interested in that - various tours. We also visited the FLAKturn tower to the north of the city - one of the remaining Nazi mega structures. We then headed by train south to Leipzig - over to Dresden via Colditz castle. Was class!

Berlin is a relaxed city - loads to see.

booked to go here 1st of December...anyone else been in December..????
Yes. Went to the Christmas Markets four years ago. It was cold but dry. If that's what you're going for, Alexanderplatz, Gendarmenmarkt & Breitsheidplatz are worth a visit. The latter is the scene of the terrorist attack in 2016. There's loads of other markets too. Check out the following:

There's a few of us off to Köln markets on the 9th December with Jet2.

Love Berlin, I've been 5 times and was hoping to go back at Xmas but they all cancelles my flights and then rebooking was really expensive for the same dates.

Love a Burgermeister or generally most street kebabs for food on the go. We were planning to go to the Michelin Starred dessert place while we were there this time too so gutted missing that. If you like coffee there are a few decent coffee shops all over the place.

Love a walk along the river from the Reichstag down to museum island and the Berliner Dom. Last time I was there the World Cup was on and was mortal during the Sweden game on the big screen at the Brandenburg Gate after hammering a few Berliners.

Newton is a canny little cocktail bar on the Gendarmenmarkt too. Loads of pictures of nude models all over the walls too.

Not sure what it's like in winter but also like spending a few hours in the Prater Garten and there's a cracking Japanese restaurant up there called Ushido that we've been to a couple of times.

Massively recommend Cafe am Neun See in Tiergarten, class outside drinking area by the lake. However I went in August… 😁

Canny little bar in the park behind the Reichstag ticket office.

Good few bars just over the Weidendammer Bridge too along Freidrichstasse.

I’m an Eastern Front history slut so was in me element in the city. Checkpoint Charlie really wasn’t worth the walk though in my opinion.

Yes. Dead easy on the trains. Can’t remember exactly which one, but they do a travel card that covers you for all transport types right across the city.
thanks... looked at transport routes ( trains) on google maps...need to get 2 trains.. wondered wether i would need 2 seperate tickets

thanks... looked at transport routes ( trains) on google maps...need to get 2 trains.. wondered wether i would need 2 seperate tickets
No. You can get a variety of tickets that cover all transport options. Check out BVG, Berlins public transport operator. All tickets cover Bus, Tram, S-Bahn, U-Bahn and all DB trains within Berlin except IC & ICE. To be honest you'll probably only use the S+U Bahn unless your staying in the former East Berlin where the trams are more numerous.

The network map for the S+U Bahn can be found here: Network maps & routes - Which line goes where and when? | BVG

Ticket inspections take place regularly so don't try and "jump" your journey. Also you must buy a ticket before boarding as there are no ticket machines onboard.
Has anyone been to their beer festival before in the first week of August? I'm planning a trip around Germany next summer and realised we'll be in Berlin that weekend.
No, but I was talking to a Belgian vendor who does Berlin at another Bier Börse who said Berlin was the best one to go to outside Stuttgart Beer Festival and Oktoberfest.

Last edited:
No. You can get a variety of tickets that cover all transport options. Check out BVG, Berlins public transport operator. All tickets cover Bus, Tram, S-Bahn, U-Bahn and all DB trains within Berlin except IC & ICE. To be honest you'll probably only use the S+U Bahn unless your staying in the former East Berlin where the trams are more numerous.

The network map for the S+U Bahn can be found here: Network maps & routes - Which line goes where and when? | BVG

Ticket inspections take place regularly so don't try and "jump" your journey. Also you must buy a ticket before boarding as there are no ticket machines onboard.

No, but I was talking to a Belgian vendor who does Berlin at another Bier Börse who said Berlin was the best one to go to outside Stuttgart Beer Festival and Oktoberfest.
thanks... great information / help there

There are no ticket barriers either but make sure you validate your ticket. As above, there are ticket inspectors everywhere and they don't accept "I'm just a dumb tourist" excuse. Just buy a daily ticket to save the hassle.

But once you understand how the tickets work, Berlin really has one of the best public transport systems in the world

Back