Ben Foakes

He is a very good keeper. I think once he gets a score, at any number, he will stay in. I know he has scored runs but obviously the selectors prefer Buttler behind the stumps with his perceived stronger batting.

He is the best keeper in the world but it will be his batting in the next 4 test matches that will determine whether he stays in the team. It’s all in his hands he has a great opportunity.

Root & Buttler- Best Marras

That is all.
Not sure that’s fair. Foakes is the best WK we have without a doubt. But it’s more debatable whether he’s the best keeper batsman. And ultimately it depends on where you draw the balance between the two. Somewhere like India he’s more important than in England too, can do with a lesser keeper in England as spin is rarely used, and when it is, it isn’t about catches and stumpings but more containing. So it also depends where you are playing at the time.

A separate question altogether could be whether you can have both Jos and Foakes in the team, which I’m an advocate of personally.
Is he the best wicketkeeper in the world ?
If he’s not I’d love to see who is, because he must be superb to be better than foakes. Some unbelievable keeping in the last test

Last edited:
Arguably yes, he’s the best wicket keeper we have but is he the best WK batsman available to us. Like many have said, the next few games determines whether Foakes is the man we go to but Jos has massively improved with the gloves and in my opinion, a much better batsman hence the suggestion that he could actually be in the side without the gloves.

Arguably yes, he’s the best wicket keeper we have but is he the best WK batsman available to us. Like many have said, the next few games determines whether Foakes is the man we go to but Jos has massively improved with the gloves and in my opinion, a much better batsman hence the suggestion that he could actually be in the side without the gloves.
Jos has massively improved. A much better bat is debatable

First class records
Buttler 115 matches, 7 tons and 33 50s at 33.38
Foakes 112 matches, 10 tons and 31 50s at 38.81

Of course 50 of Buttlers matches have been tests, so a higher level. But I don’t think the difference is that stark.

Jos has massively improved. A much better bat is debatable

First class records
Buttler 115 matches, 7 tons and 33 50s at 33.38
Foakes 112 matches, 10 tons and 31 50s at 38.81

Of course 50 of Buttlers matches have been tests, so a higher level. But I don’t think the difference is that stark.

Thats kind of why I was saying that the next run of games is vital for Foakes. If he’s getting runs and performing as well as everybody knows he can with the gloves then he’s earned the opportunity to carry on. If not then Jos, for me, has done enough to consider himself as the number 1

Thats kind of why I was saying that the next run of games is vital for Foakes. If he’s getting runs and performing as well as everybody knows he can with the gloves then he’s earned the opportunity to carry on. If not then Jos, for me, has done enough to consider himself as the number 1
If it wasn’t for potentially missing the NZ matches, I’d continue to play Buttler (and everyone knows I’m not a red ball fan). He’s deserved it, and we want a side where performance = being picked

For what it’s worth, I don’t think you can pick both. Root, Stokes and Pope are 4-6 for me. Others will disagree

Back