Being or becoming a fat person

And don't sicken yourself during build-up with whatever the activity/exercise entails. Keep it enjoyable.
That is true. I don't actually like running and the times I have trained for the Great North Run, I have hated the 8 mile+ training runs. Always difficult to get myself out for a run, but it is a really good way of fitting in some more intense exercise into a short space of time. I have no way of measuring the difference, but I feel like I burn more in a 30 minute run than I do on a 2 hour bike ride.

Personal fears are also a massive contributory factor. Make a medical enquiry about how to increase your anaerobic capacity. As WHD mentions, psychology comes into it so can create mental & physical shutdown.

Superb advice. Physical capabilities will increase gradually.
The COPD probably doesn’t help mind.

When I was 46 I thought I’d play forever then one day I started getting injuries, which meant layoffs, and then the first game back became harder each time.
I “played” two weeks ago after a long layoff and it was the worst game of my life. Not only could I not run, but I couldn’t actually move much or stretch for balls. I feared that may have been the end. But then I played a week later and I was like a different person.
So I think the key is staying injury free enough to keep exercising regularly.

I’ve put the turbo together and looked at it
Jacked in all running as the thought of ever having to jack in monday night footy depresses me.

If it's at all useful, I'm a fairly svelte 44 year old.
I drink, eat takeaways etc. However I don't eat usually until after 6 and have one big (mountainous) meal a day. Not through any kind of regime, I've just always been the same.
Don't drive so walk everywhere which I suspect helps a hell of a lot more than you'd think. A walk into town and back is a good 4 mile round trip without the actual walking around town. And that's without just popping to the local shops.
When I had a fitness tracker I once did 26000 steps on a night out in town.:lol:
Canny pub crawl that mind

That is true. I don't actually like running and the times I have trained for the Great North Run, I have hated the 8 mile+ training runs. Always difficult to get myself out for a run, but it is a really good way of fitting in some more intense exercise into a short space of time. I have no way of measuring the difference, but I feel like I burn more in a 30 minute run than I do on a 2 hour bike ride.
Running is an acquired taste & it's so easy to sicken yourself with it, varied exercising of muscle groups maintains interest. You would probably burn more on a run as you'd be using more muscles without realising it as running involves pretty much the full body (for balance, arms, posture retention, etc). When I ran (as training) I would try to include hill/steps work because they're great for calorie burn and when you've done it you feel as though you've worked so was more content to do it again. To burn even more with whatever anyone decides to do is wear a sweatshirt or weather jacket which increase sweating.

Running is an acquired taste & it's so easy to sicken yourself with it, varied exercising of muscle groups maintains interest. You would probably burn more on a run as you'd be using more muscles without realising it as running involves pretty much the full body (for balance, arms, posture retention, etc). When I ran (as training) I would try to include hill/steps work because they're great for calorie burn and when you've done it you feel as though you've worked so was more content to do it again. To burn even more with whatever anyone decides to do is wear a sweatshirt or weather jacket which increase sweating.
When I had a goal (GNR) then I was motivated and out a lot. Then I tore my calf the week before and was advised at least 6 weeks complete rest. So I did the half marathon instead. The last 3 miles were so painful and it made it at least 3 months recovery, by which point it was winter and crap for running. Apart from the occasional run, I have not picked it up again since. I'm currently managing one every 2-3 weeks where I should be doing 3 miles twice a week. Mixed with football twice and a longish bike ride, that is a fair amount of exercise. Hopefully as the weather improves I'll get more motivation.

The OP said about age. It is never too late to stop intense exercise.

I play 5-a-side twice a week and some of the blokes I play with are in their 60s, I'm 46. They are slim and fit but have avoided serious injuries. We have had a few stop playing over the years because of pain, usually knees. If I can remain injury free, I hope to keep playing for as long as I can, that should be another 20 years at least.

My sports are usually football, cycling and running, so all lower body. A year ago I changed jobs and went from a 5 mile commute by bike to working from home. As the days get longer I'll start getting out a bit more before or after work. But noticing a drop in exercise over the winter I started doing some upper body stuff. I want to build up to 100 each of press ups, sit ups and barbell curls. I'm currently halfway there at 50. If I do it on my dinner break I feel really wide and awake early afternoon, so it is having a concentration benefit too.

My advice to anyone is to keep going with whatever exercise works for you. I think current guidelines are 2 or 3 20 minute sessions that give you a cardio workout. If I'm injured and don't get that, I get really grumpy and tired.
My knee are knackered mate from playing football all my life. That's the biggest miss. Played 3-4 times during the week the 11s on sat morning/afternoon. After my latest op I can't play anymore.

When I had a goal (GNR) then I was motivated and out a lot. Then I tore my calf the week before and was advised at least 6 weeks complete rest. So I did the half marathon instead. The last 3 miles were so painful and it made it at least 3 months recovery, by which point it was winter and crap for running. Apart from the occasional run, I have not picked it up again since. I'm currently managing one every 2-3 weeks where I should be doing 3 miles twice a week. Mixed with football twice and a longish bike ride, that is a fair amount of exercise. Hopefully as the weather improves I'll get more motivation.
When the weather improves you'll be out & about - I can tell from the fact you're already thinking about it.

Be very careful with your calf though & prepare for other muscle compensation aches around it. When someone has a goal it all becomes easier. Have you set yourself a GNR time target yet? But then again, due to gnr numbers time-chasing is not really practical from what I've heard.

Running (and cycling) in winter is great, I loved it. I was the same with fell walking, the worse the weather the better the walk for me.

When the weather improves you'll be out & about - I can tell from the fact you're already thinking about it.

Be very careful with your calf though & prepare for other muscle compensation aches around it. When someone has a goal it all becomes easier. Have you set yourself a GNR time target yet? But then again, due to gnr numbers time-chasing is not really practical from what I've heard.

Running (and cycling) in winter is great, I loved it. I was the same with fell walking, the worse the weather the better the walk for me.
My GNR time target was 1 hour 44 (which is 8 minutes per mile). I managed it in 1:59:40, which was still under the two hours. Considering the pain I was in, I was pretty pleased with that.

It was a few years ago so my calf has recovered. I think for now I'm going to stick to 3 mile maximum runs, 24 minute target time and not get any grand ideas about long distance running. It would be good to get my cycling up to 75 miles though. I did regular 40s and a few 50s last year, but tailed off when the weather got insanely hot.

My GNR time target was 1 hour 44 (which is 8 minutes per mile). I managed it in 1:59:40, which was still under the two hours. Considering the pain I was in, I was pretty pleased with that.

It was a few years ago so my calf has recovered. I think for now I'm going to stick to 3 mile maximum runs, 24 minute target time and not get any grand ideas about long distance running. It would be good to get my cycling up to 75 miles though. I did regular 40s and a few 50s last year, but tailed off when the weather got insanely hot.
That gnr time would be great.
I'd still be careful with the calf mind, you obviously know how that feels when it's not right. As for cycling just make sure you have your puncture repair stuff with you......or has it moved on that much since I had my bike out?
Happened again today too.
Maybe his system has altered or the temp is getting warmer so what he's had is burnt up too quckly. It's always worth being right on top of it. Having the Libra (or other) must not be as in control at monitoring as he thinks if it's repeatedly happening.

Last edited:
That gnr time would be great.
I'd still be careful with the calf mind, you obviously know how that feels when it's not right. As for cycling just make sure you have your puncture repair stuff with you......or has it moved on that much since I had my bike out?

Maybe his system has altered or the temp is getting warmer so what he's had is burnt up too quckly. It's always worth being right on top of it. Having the Libra (or other) must not be as in control at monitoring as he thinks if it's repeatedly happening.
It’s happening because he’s getting pulled to bits from us as he’s getting a gut and he’s trying to loose it. I’m also working him like a dog 😉

Back