Being or becoming a fat person

Put on quite a bit weight myself over last 8 month or so. Changed roles at work from an active role to a more desk job.
Got into a habit of coming in from work and having a couple of beers every night. Eating late doesn't help either.
Used to cycle a lot but after coming a cropper and busting my arm I'm finding it hard to get the cycling bug back.
I'm an older dad and have a fantastic 13 year old son who I'd like to be around to see grow up. I have recently been diagnosed with high blood pressure and cholesterol so I need to change.
I will take your advice has a start and try get myself back in shape which will hopefully reduced my blood pressure and cholesterol.
Yep you are me minus the cholesterol. Hired a pt to try and get back into it.

Yep you are me minus the cholesterol. Hired a pt to try and get back into it.
Hired a PT also, bit of a game changer for me, targeted all my needs according to goals in the gym, stretching sessions at home as add ons, but also got me off the shite food and drinks with nutrition plan/advice. Barely touched veg/salad before, now it's pretty much in all my meals, not as much as he'd like, but getting there.

Hired a PT also, bit of a game changer for me, targeted all my needs according to goals in the gym, stretching sessions at home as add ons, but also got me off the shite food and drinks with nutrition plan/advice. Barely touched veg/salad before, now it's pretty much in all my meals, not as much as he'd like, but getting there.
My diet I think is the crux. I don't generally eat breakfast, rush lunch and don't eat in the evenings. Been out twice this week for dinner so had evening meals and I must admit I feel a lot better for it.

You'd be surprised how much weight comes off just by eating properly and stopping snacking and excessive drinking
Agreed..... I've lost 17lbs since Christmas....
I've cut the snacking completely.
My diet was good ..... ish previously, just to much and extra crap on top.
I'm a logical bloke so calorie counting works for me. (Good Calories)
Instead of becoming obsessed with food I try to just lose interest in it!
Repetition works for me.
6 days
Breakfast: Grapefruit, Kefir Turmeric shot.
Lunch: Rice, Bone broth and chicken with chilli etc. .....or Rice, Falafel, Salad etc
Bran at tea.
I aim for 1200-1600 calories day
Ex bike 4 x 30 mins (just in aerobic zone)
7th Day I have 4-5 pints and total about 3k cals.
Works for me and is sustainable.🙂

I worked with two diabs so I know how managing their situation was. Food intake is a controlling factor for them so I'm surprised at overweight ones. As for hypos I bet you were instructed & ready. I got used to the getting milk with sugar if he was beyond his get some food times into one of them so he could do his own injection. Your mate will be ableto get there if he's sensible.

I'm glad you posted that, I didn't post that most have a fat inducing meal or takeaway after their beers. I used to. Salad after beers, only as part of a kebab.

Like meself, when I played f'ball & trained I ate & drank what I wanted then I got to an age/situation that restricted my lifestyle so I need to clamp down on fatty bait :(

I bet you're not. Females always think that about themselves. I used to hear it every day at work and 99% weren't anywhere near being fat.
He’s a type 1 . Technology is there now so his phone tells him he’s hypo before him or anyone else knows. Libra is a game changer for him

Sadly I am, I'm about twice the size that I should be.
Women always portray themselves as being far too oversized [impression conscious] and rarely are they as big as they believe
He’s a type 1 . Technology is there now so his phone tells him he’s hypo before him or anyone else knows. Libra is a game changer for him
So long as he's in control.

Last edited:
Meet ya double mate 🤪🐖😂🍺
🤣🤣 It’s the sweet stuff that knacks me, i have taken to cutting it down and controlling what i eat by getting a small square airtight plastic tub and every day i put my allowance of sweet things in there, a couple of digestives (plain) and one or two other small sweet bits. it’s changed things for me. It’s up to me when i have them through the day as long as i don’t graze elsewhere.
It’s a psychological thing for me, if i have a big bag of something i’ll dig in and tell myself i haven’t had many as the bag is still quite full 🤣 sounds nuts but the ways in which you con yourself are many and varied, add to that conveniently erasing those trips to the biscuit tub throughout the day and you have full on denial 🤣.
I’m fairly logical so the compartmentalism the tub and allotted portion offer works for me. The weight loss from just doing that is a revelation, just showed me how much that extra sugar effects my diet.

🤣🤣 It’s the sweet stuff that knacks me, i have taken to cutting it down and controlling what i eat by getting a small square airtight plastic tub and every day i put my allowance of sweet things in there, a couple of digestives (plain) and one or two other small sweet bits. it’s changed things for me. It’s up to me when i have them through the day as long as i don’t graze elsewhere.
It’s a psychological thing for me, if i have a big bag of something i’ll dig in and tell myself i haven’t had many as the bag is still quite full 🤣 sounds nuts but the ways in which you con yourself are many and varied, add to that conveniently erasing those trips to the biscuit tub throughout the day and you have full on denial 🤣.
I’m fairly logical so the compartmentalism the tub and allotted portion offer works for me. The weight loss from just doing that is a revelation, just showed me how much that extra sugar effects my diet.
Not daft mate......if it works for you....great.
My diet wouldn't work for a lot of people....it's pretty boring and bland....
Give those low cal choc drinks a try if you get desperate for something sweet....they are full of shite so go easy with them though.

The OP said about age. It is never too late to stop intense exercise.

I play 5-a-side twice a week and some of the blokes I play with are in their 60s, I'm 46. They are slim and fit but have avoided serious injuries. We have had a few stop playing over the years because of pain, usually knees. If I can remain injury free, I hope to keep playing for as long as I can, that should be another 20 years at least.

My sports are usually football, cycling and running, so all lower body. A year ago I changed jobs and went from a 5 mile commute by bike to working from home. As the days get longer I'll start getting out a bit more before or after work. But noticing a drop in exercise over the winter I started doing some upper body stuff. I want to build up to 100 each of press ups, sit ups and barbell curls. I'm currently halfway there at 50. If I do it on my dinner break I feel really wide and awake early afternoon, so it is having a concentration benefit too.

My advice to anyone is to keep going with whatever exercise works for you. I think current guidelines are 2 or 3 20 minute sessions that give you a cardio workout. If I'm injured and don't get that, I get really grumpy and tired.

Fair enough, I thought you would be fit of sorts as you do the C2C every year.

I've done it 8 times, and the only time I walked was the first time, when I thought everyone else walking must be fitter/more experienced than me, so it was kind of psychological. I soon realised walking was almost as hard as cycling in first gear.
I can ride the distance no bother, but my anaerobic capacity has dwindled to pretty much zero. As soon as I have to put any effort in, my muscles go “nope, not getting any oxygen here, we’re shutting down” and I literally can’t pedal. I was last up Rookhope and everyone waited at the top to give me some TdF style encouragement up the last little bit, but all I could do was pedal about 10 yards then collapse over my bars gasping for breath for a minute before repeating. I could hear the cheers dying off and see people thinking “Is he taking the piss here, taking 5 minutes to ride 50 yards?” but that’s all I had to offer.
The worrying thing was that every year I train for it for a couple of months and I’m ok, but that time I trained the same amount and it made no difference.
I’m dreading training this year in case the same thing happens again.

I can ride the distance no bother, but my anaerobic capacity has dwindled to pretty much zero. As soon as I have to put any effort in, my muscles go “nope, not getting any oxygen here, we’re shutting down” and I literally can’t pedal. I was last up Rookhope and everyone waited at the top to give me some TdF style encouragement up the last little bit, but all I could do was pedal about 10 yards then collapse over my bars gasping for breath for a minute before repeating. I could hear the cheers dying off and see people thinking “Is he taking the piss here, taking 5 minutes to ride 50 yards?” but that’s all I had to offer.
The worrying thing was that every year I train for it for a couple of months and I’m ok, but that time I trained the same amount and it made no difference.
Me n crad got training panic over a couple of pints last night.

If it's at all useful, I'm a fairly svelte 44 year old.
I drink, eat takeaways etc. However I don't eat usually until after 6 and have one big (mountainous) meal a day. Not through any kind of regime, I've just always been the same.
Don't drive so walk everywhere which I suspect helps a hell of a lot more than you'd think. A walk into town and back is a good 4 mile round trip without the actual walking around town. And that's without just popping to the local shops.
When I had a fitness tracker I once did 26000 steps on a night out in town.:lol:

I haven't done the C2C since 2019, I was wondering if I'd have similar issues if I did it again.

The OP said about age. It is never too late to stop intense exercise.

I play 5-a-side twice a week and some of the blokes I play with are in their 60s, I'm 46. They are slim and fit but have avoided serious injuries. We have had a few stop playing over the years because of pain, usually knees. If I can remain injury free, I hope to keep playing for as long as I can, that should be another 20 years at least.

My sports are usually football, cycling and running, so all lower body. A year ago I changed jobs and went from a 5 mile commute by bike to working from home. As the days get longer I'll start getting out a bit more before or after work. But noticing a drop in exercise over the winter I started doing some upper body stuff. I want to build up to 100 each of press ups, sit ups and barbell curls. I'm currently halfway there at 50. If I do it on my dinner break I feel really wide and awake early afternoon, so it is having a concentration benefit too.

My advice to anyone is to keep going with whatever exercise works for you. I think current guidelines are 2 or 3 20 minute sessions that give you a cardio workout. If I'm injured and don't get that, I get really grumpy and tired.
When I was 46 I thought I’d play forever then one day I started getting injuries, which meant layoffs, and then the first game back became harder each time.
I “played” two weeks ago after a long layoff and it was the worst game of my life. Not only could I not run, but I couldn’t actually move much or stretch for balls. I feared that may have been the end. But then I played a week later and I was like a different person.
So I think the key is staying injury free enough to keep exercising regularly.
Me n crad got training panic over a couple of pints last night.
I’ve put the turbo together and looked at it

Personal fears are also a massive contributory factor. Make a medical enquiry about how to increase your anaerobic capacity. As WHD mentions, psychology comes into it so can create mental & physical shutdown.
My advice to anyone is to keep going with whatever exercise works for you.
Superb advice. Physical capabilities will increase gradually.

Last edited:
When I was 46 I thought I’d play forever then one day I started getting injuries, which meant layoffs, and then the first game back became harder each time.
I “played” two weeks ago after a long layoff and it was the worst game of my life. Not only could I not run, but I couldn’t actually move much or stretch for balls. I feared that may have been the end. But then I played a week later and I was like a different person.
So I think the key is staying injury free enough to keep exercising regularly.

I’ve put the turbo together and looked at it
A lot of it is getting regular, and you do get what you said with any new form of exercise. It is a good word of warning to anyone wanting to get into exercise or a new form of it. It will be hard at first but it gets better.

Your body gets used to moving in a particular way and muscles not used in a certain way will just complain. I feel like it is my bodys way of saying "what the fuck are you doing?". Despite being fairly fit, I bought a kayak last year and the first couple of trips out were draining after an hour or two (bearing in mind it is a gentle sport) and I really ached the next day. But after doing it a couple of times my body accepted it and I was away (if I ignore lifting the bugger back on the car at the end of it!).

You might be seeing that with your cycling uphill. You switch to using muscles in a different way or using more of your quads. There is some information here:
I get the same running after a long layoff, and it is soul destroying. Playing football I'm very much the energetic headless chicken type. I cover a lot of ground without skill or direction. I can go to the gym and on a treadmill, easily knock out 3 miles in under 25 minutes, but it is all running on the flat. Outside, as soon as I hit an incline, it is like someone is dragging me back. It takes me a long while to develop any form of incline running. I'm just about to start again after the winter and I know I'm going to be disappointed with myself for the first 5 or 6 runs.

Technique is also another part of it, and that can be linked to mentality too. If you start in a gear that is too high, you will pretty much hit a wall and not be able to make the bike move. But if you are in a gear too low then you will be putting all your energy into spinning the pedals but not transferring enough of that to the road, the bike will slow and then it will be a real strain to move the bike or build up momentum. There are a couple of good videos on YouTube about hills (Global Cycle Network I think). Start off on a gear that is going to make you work but not kill you and really attack the hill for the first third, possibly standing up. Then as you start to find it too difficult, gradually decrease the gears.

And practice. Pick a smallish hill near your home and ride up it nearly every day with set rest days. Set a target for where you will get too before you stop or feel like shit and increase that target in sets of 3 or 5. If you push the target with every ride, then mentally you are always struggling or failing and that hits your motivation. But I find with a set of three, the first time is hard, the second is easier and it can often feel comfortable by the third. That measurable improvement is a mental boost, and then pick a tree another 10 or 20 meters up the hill to make that your target.

A lot of it is getting regular, and you do get what you said with any new form of exercise. It is a good word of warning to anyone wanting to get into exercise or a new form of it. It will be hard at first but it gets better.

Your body gets used to moving in a particular way and muscles not used in a certain way will just complain. I feel like it is my bodys way of saying "what the fuck are you doing?". Despite being fairly fit, I bought a kayak last year and the first couple of trips out were draining after an hour or two (bearing in mind it is a gentle sport) and I really ached the next day. But after doing it a couple of times my body accepted it and I was away (if I ignore lifting the bugger back on the car at the end of it!).

You might be seeing that with your cycling uphill. You switch to using muscles in a different way or using more of your quads. There is some information here:
I get the same running after a long layoff, and it is soul destroying. Playing football I'm very much the energetic headless chicken type. I cover a lot of ground without skill or direction. I can go to the gym and on a treadmill, easily knock out 3 miles in under 25 minutes, but it is all running on the flat. Outside, as soon as I hit an incline, it is like someone is dragging me back. It takes me a long while to develop any form of incline running. I'm just about to start again after the winter and I know I'm going to be disappointed with myself for the first 5 or 6 runs.

Technique is also another part of it, and that can be linked to mentality too. If you start in a gear that is too high, you will pretty much hit a wall and not be able to make the bike move. But if you are in a gear too low then you will be putting all your energy into spinning the pedals but not transferring enough of that to the road, the bike will slow and then it will be a real strain to move the bike or build up momentum. There are a couple of good videos on YouTube about hills (Global Cycle Network I think). Start off on a gear that is going to make you work but not kill you and really attack the hill for the first third, possibly standing up. Then as you start to find it too difficult, gradually decrease the gears.

And practice. Pick a smallish hill near your home and ride up it nearly every day with set rest days. Set a target for where you will get too before you stop or feel like shit and increase that target in sets of 3 or 5. If you push the target with every ride, then mentally you are always struggling or failing and that hits your motivation. But I find with a set of three, the first time is hard, the second is easier and it can often feel comfortable by the third. That measurable improvement is a mental boost, and then pick a tree another 10 or 20 meters up the hill to make that your target.
And don't sicken yourself during build-up with whatever the activity/exercise entails. Keep it enjoyable.

Back