Being or becoming a fat person

41 now , 2 knee ops. Could always get myself into decent shape after anything, Im just off my crutches this week. when do you just admit defeat? , that you're never going to be where you want to be? ...always thought I was OK weight wise but after latest op i cant even walk properly, when do you adjust and take it in ? Can't wait for replies 😂 thanks in advance.

Injury recovery is just as mental thing as physical one; I've been in/out of running due to my knee, at first, I was like you, end of the world, admit defeat etc, but once I changed my mindset, and see the recovery as a challenge in itself, then things seem better. Although I'm kind of lucky that I prefer cycling to running, so I just jump back on the bike and build the running side back up again slowly.

41 now , 2 knee ops. Could always get myself into decent shape after anything, Im just off my crutches this week. when do you just admit defeat? , that you're never going to be where you want to be? ...always thought I was OK weight wise but after latest op i cant even walk properly, when do you adjust and take it in ? Can't wait for replies 😂 thanks in advance.
Never give it up. If you admit defeat then you might as well be pushing up daisies already. Get your recovery sorted and then start to test what you can do, how you can push yourself. Baby steps remember, age is not on your side now and injuries will be harder to recover from, but there will always be a way you can push yourself physically, get that heart rate up, and improve your fitness. Excellent for your mental health too.
Get onto the exercise forum on here and have a poke about, there's also lots of like- minded posters who will have been through the same stuff

Ran the line of being a bit overweight since forever
My age and lack of exercise seemed to be just as I've got bored of beer in the house and struggle to eat any crap food and takeaways

I've just started back at the gym after 6 months away because putting on too much weight. Not easy as my hips are pretty poor so whereas in the past I'd just run and run every night, I struggle to even do 1 or 2 miles now so have to do the bike instead. But, if I don't do it it's one think nobody else can do for me so just have to bite the bullet and get on with it. Hope to shift a stone at least by the summer.

Injury recovery is just as mental thing as physical one; I've been in/out of running due to my knee, at first, I was like you, end of the world, admit defeat etc, but once I changed my mindset, and see the recovery as a challenge in itself, then things seem better. Although I'm kind of lucky that I prefer cycling to running, so I just jump back on the bike and build the running side back up again slowly.
good call, with the cycling

both my knees have had a load of ops. left knee replacement 2 years ago and on the list for the right one. easy to get down in the dumps about it all, eat / drink and pile the weight on. my advice is get a bike and get out on it. the weather is changing / lighter nights and some great cycle routes for all stages of cyclists

admitting defeat, does not help the recovery from any ops you'll have and you'd not get any benefit. think of it as being given a fresh opportunity and get your teeth into it

Lad who posts on here, and played in a couple of the charity games, good lad and talks sense.

I think people generally think about their age too much, you're never too old to get fit, I got my father in law into Brazilian Jiu Jitsu at 60 and he goes three times a week, but like anything it takes commitment and discipline, if you haven't maintained your fitness over the years it's going to be harder to stay on track.

You'll have to start by strengthening the muscles in your legs, but it'll be a slow process and would make sense creating a programme with input from someone who has experience managing fitness around past injuries such as this.

Sort your diet out as well. Frequently when you think you want a snack, you just need water so always have a drink first. Stop eating chocolate and crisps, lay off the drink. If you want a snack have an apple and or a few raw nuts.

Last edited:
My mate is a “ big lad “ marra struggles with weight -late 50s-really bad knees hips ect
He however finds swimming great as it’s not weight bearing and massively helps him -believe he goes 3 0r 4 times a week
Change of type of exercise for him but that adjustment obv helps him going forward
Good luck marra ( I know it can be frustrating not doing what you could )

Back