Being or becoming a fat person

You just never give up buddy, fortunately I’ve never been overweight although a couple of weeks back I was basically told I’d prolly never walk again after suffering from a strok, I made a few posts on here last week saying how fearful I was of the future and not being able to walk
As it happens less than an hour ago I managed to walk again completely unaided for the first time since it happened.

I just refused to give up andaccept it mate, I coul have rolled over and said fuck it but I refused ani can’t tell you how I feel atm, biggest high I’ve ever had. Some willl power and determination and it amssing what we can pull off 😎💪💪

Just keep going man , good luck
Terrific news that mate , delighted for you

You just never give up buddy, fortunately I’ve never been overweight although a couple of weeks back I was basically told I’d prolly never walk again after suffering from a strok, I made a few posts on here last week saying how fearful I was of the future and not being able to walk
As it happens less than an hour ago I managed to walk again completely unaided for the first time since it happened.

I just refused to give up andaccept it mate, I coul have rolled over and said fuck it but I refused ani can’t tell you how I feel atm, biggest high I’ve ever had. Some willl power and determination and it amssing what we can pull off 😎💪💪

Just keep going man , good luck
Stay positive & battle on. Use the positive mindset you did to walk unaided, and don't accept the negatives. Enjoy the highs there'll be more ahead. As posted, never give up.

Great post 👍 Good luck for your way ahead.

Stay positive & battle on. Use the positive mindset you did to walk unaided, and don't accept the negatives. Enjoy the highs there'll be more ahead. As posted, never give up.

Great post 👍 Good luck for your way ahead.
Thanks man, as I’ve said a few times I won’t give up , it’s not in me mat and I can actually see light at the end if the tunnel not, few weeks I think I’ll be back home with a bit luck

Thanks for the messages anyway mate, it’s greatly appreciated but now I’m off to sleep, another big day tomorrow, gnight man 👍👍👍

I always tried to look after my weight and exercise until 3 years ago when my brother in law died of cancer of the oesophagus 6 weeks after diagnosis. He was a vegan, regular gym lad, super healthy and never had a chance. Stuff it I thought after that.

Thanks man, as I’ve said a few times I won’t give up , it’s not in me mat and I can actually see light at the end if the tunnel not, few weeks I think I’ll be back home with a bit luck

Thanks for the messages anyway mate, it’s greatly appreciated but now I’m off to sleep, another big day tomorrow, gnight man 👍👍👍
That's what I was going to add before, calm down & get yersel off to sleep now because there's more "not giving up" tomorrow. The tunnel light is there for you. 👍
I always tried to look after my weight and exercise until 3 years ago when my brother in law died of cancer of the oesophagus 6 weeks after diagnosis. He was a vegan, regular gym lad, super healthy and never had a chance. Stuff it I thought after that.
Live your own life, there's no medical evidence that what happened will also happen with you. Get back to your sensible exercising life & don't relate it to yourself. Events like that (with your bil) have large negative effects if you let them.

Last edited:
That's what I was going to add before, calm down & get yersel off to sleep now because there's more "not giving up" tomorrow. The tunnel light is there for you. 👍

Live your own life, there's no medical evidence that what happened will also happen with you. Get back to your sensible exercising life & don't relate it to yourself. Events like that (with your bil) have large negative effects if you let them.
Well to be fair there's no positive effect to a young, previously healthy man dying but I know what you mean.

Thanks buddy, they had me walking again today although for the first tim it reall fatigued me, made me realise I have a fair way to go although I my get back home in th next few months

Again thanks mate it’s much appreciated, tak care bud💪👍
Woohoo. Well done. I know how you expressed your fears in another thread but also made your determination clear.

Your story is inspirational, anything is possible.

Thought I’d update you as we had a few good chats and you had some encouraging words for me, thanks btw

My physio went great and I’m being released home this Friday.

I’m so f***ing happy can’t put it into words man 💪 :cool: :cool:

Thanks to all the rest that showed an interest and wished me well .

I dunno mate, I think there’s a balance to be had. Generally keeping it together is going to reduce your chances of most lifestyle related diseases.

But don’t deny yourself stuff you enjoy in moderation. Do it in moderation though, otherwise it becomes the norm.

Thought I’d update you as we had a few good chats and you had some encouraging words for me, thanks btw

My physio went great and I’m being released home this Friday.

I’m so f***ing happy can’t put it into words man 💪 :cool: :cool:

Thanks to all the rest that showed an interest and wished me well .
I'm so pleased things have gone well. Now stick at it, your positive outlook will take you a long way with recovery. I imagine it will be nice to get home for peace & some proper sleep!

When the weather improves you'll be out & about - I can tell from the fact you're already thinking about it.

Be very careful with your calf though & prepare for other muscle compensation aches around it. When someone has a goal it all becomes easier. Have you set yourself a GNR time target yet? But then again, due to gnr numbers time-chasing is not really practical from what I've heard.

Running (and cycling) in winter is great, I loved it. I was the same with fell walking, the worse the weather the better the walk for me.
After replying saying my calf is fine, it was a few years ago, I've knackered it again.

Was running a bit late for football, only did a brief warm up. Felt a bit of tightness in my leg. Sprinted back to cover defence when someone broke through, stretched for the ball and it went. A clear line of pain and electric pins and needles shooting up my leg. Clearly a tear.

No exercise for me for 4-6 weeks then a gentle build up.

Age sucks:
15-25: You are young, anything goes, no effects from sports or anything is better the next day unless really serious
25-35: Little muscle pulls set in and take longer and longer to heal
35:45: Those pulls start to become tears of various degrees
45+ Recovery time gets longer and longer

My warm up routine is mostly based on working the muscles I have had problems with in the past. If I go it, it works well, but every year it gets longer and longer!

At least this one is only a mild one. Any limping should be gone by Easter.

After replying saying my calf is fine, it was a few years ago, I've knackered it again.

Was running a bit late for football, only did a brief warm up. Felt a bit of tightness in my leg. Sprinted back to cover defence when someone broke through, stretched for the ball and it went. A clear line of pain and electric pins and needles shooting up my leg. Clearly a tear.

No exercise for me for 4-6 weeks then a gentle build up.

Age sucks:
15-25: You are young, anything goes, no effects from sports or anything is better the next day unless really serious
25-35: Little muscle pulls set in and take longer and longer to heal
35:45: Those pulls start to become tears of various degrees
45+ Recovery time gets longer and longer

My warm up routine is mostly based on working the muscles I have had problems with in the past. If I go it, it works well, but every year it gets longer and longer!

At least this one is only a mild one. Any limping should be gone by Easter.
Strangely, I had that thought about your calf when I mentioned being careful with it. As you get older, good warm-ups & sensible stretching before exercise are key. Because as you know (from football), you find yourself in a situation where a sprint or activity adds extra stress to some muscle so it goes.

Oh well, make the best of your incapacity. I won't suggest kicking football into touch (yet) because my advice was always to continue playing as long as you can but make sure it's the person that decides when to finish, not the game that finishes you. As a fitness footnote, don't ever be misled by mild muscle aches & pains.

I'm so pleased things have gone well. Now stick at it, your positive outlook will take you a long way with recovery. I imagine it will be nice to get home for peace & some proper sleep!
Sleep is the one thing I’m looking forward to most, I’ve told the boy he can jump in bed with me and I reckon we will sleep for a couple of days!

Thanks again pal 💪

Sleep is the one thing I’m looking forward to most, I’ve told the boy he can jump in bed with me and I reckon we will sleep for a couple of days!

Thanks again pal 💪
I know only too well how being an in-patient trashes any idea of being able to sleep you might have had. You'll be waking over & over with imaginary sounds of med equip sounding or nurses coming to stick things in you & take readings.

And don't get back on here saying you've missed it :lol: Home bed is calling you. 💤

Strangely, I had that thought about your calf when I mentioned being careful with it. As you get older, good warm-ups & sensible stretching before exercise are key. Because as you know (from football), you find yourself in a situation where a sprint or activity adds extra stress to some muscle so it goes.

Oh well, make the best of your incapacity. I won't suggest kicking football into touch (yet) because my advice was always to continue playing as long as you can but make sure it's the person that decides when to finish, not the game that finishes you. As a fitness footnote, don't ever be misled by mild muscle aches & pains.
I play with some people in their 60s, so I would get no end of criticism if I quit due to age. Besides I love the game, the social side and the beer afterwards (which doesn't help weight loss!).

I do think indoor 5-a-side is the best fitness thing I do. If I'm out running and it starts to feel like I can't go on much further it is too easy to drop to a walk for a bit. In football I just keep running and chasing and then if I realise there is only 5 minutes left, I can usually dig deep and find those extra few minutes of energy. Nothing motivates me like a ball to chase down.

I play with some people in their 60s, so I would get no end of criticism if I quit due to age. Besides I love the game, the social side and the beer afterwards (which doesn't help weight loss!).

I do think indoor 5-a-side is the best fitness thing I do. If I'm out running and it starts to feel like I can't go on much further it is too easy to drop to a walk for a bit. In football I just keep running and chasing and then if I realise there is only 5 minutes left, I can usually dig deep and find those extra few minutes of energy. Nothing motivates me like a ball to chase down.
That's the thing with football if you've loved & enjoyed it, packing in is very very difficult. The camaraderie around post game beers, wind-ups & training was something else.

You can't beat chasing & competing for a ball (indoors or out). It's rare that age is the finishing factor it's usually other things among lads I knew. I'd love to have a game now but it isn't sensible even if I was physically able. Loads of old team mates are still playing in their 60s but that's equally for the beer I think.

Back