Beatles question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why were Lennon and McCartney so crap in their solo careers?
Check the sales figures of their records.
In comparison to beatles maybe not so good but even then the vast majority of artists would have loved those numbers.
Besides what value is the opinion of someone who couldnt sing happy birthday in tune.

The Beatles were around for many a year (was it eight or nine?) writing sublime music throughout that time.
Right, and how long is it from when they split up in comparison? Fecking years and years. So that's my point, they hit the niche, the seam, the gold mine.

It's a shame Booth/Cleese and Merchant/Gervais can no longer write comedy verging on perfection. Sometimes the niches dry up (even before they get divorced, shot or disassociate.)

Right, and how long is it from when they split up in comparison? Fecking years and years. So that's my point, they hit the niche, the seam, the gold mine.

It's a shame Booth/Cleese and Merchant/Gervais can no longer write comedy verging on perfection. Sometimes the niches dry up (even before they get divorced, shot or disassociate.)

Fair enough, I guess making the point by comparing it to two bands writing a decent album each seemed to play down their ability somewhat that's all.

Just seen this thread and can't be arsed to read it as I can only imagine the cliched nonsense that will abound. :lol:
FWIW they did loads of great stuff after The Beatles. Walls & Bridges is a superb album as are most of John's albums. I'm a bit bored with ATMP but it's obviously classy if a little overlong (understandably). Macca's done loads of great stuff. Even some of Ringo's early solo stuff - Photograph in particular - is better than his Beatle songs.
Pretty obvious if they'd stayed together and come up with the same songs they'd have been just as massive if not more. This would've been a decent album -
Side One:
Band on The Run/My Sweet Lord/Photograph/Jet/How Do You Sleep
Side Two:
Instant Karma/Uncle Albert/Back Off Boogaloo/What Is Life/Give Peace A Chance/All Things Must Pass

Both McCartney & Lennon said he was. I'll take their word for it.

McCartney was probably the best all round musician, in his ability to play almost any instrument, but he reckoned George was by far the technically better musician.
I wouldn't argue you may well be right.
Having said that, on Taxman which Harrison wrote he couldn't quite manage the solo, and McCartney offered and ended up playing it!

Check the sales figures of their records.
In comparison to beatles maybe not so good but even then the vast majority of artists would have loved those numbers.
Besides what value is the opinion of someone who couldnt sing happy birthday in tune.
Check the sales figures of McDonald's. It's no proof of quality, just popularity.

I wouldn't argue you may well be right.
Having said that, on Taxman which Harrison wrote he couldn't quite manage the solo, and McCartney offered and ended up playing it!
:lol: It wasn't a matter of him not being able to play the solo, the Beatles often stood in for each other on sessions, for instance John plays bass on Helter skelter, Paul plays drums on a good few tracks too, if, what they played was right for the song, it was a keeper and made the cut, I think that's what made the Beatles great, they all served the song and not their own egos.

:lol: It wasn't a matter of him not being able to play the solo, the Beatles often stood in for each other on sessions, for instance John plays bass on Helter skelter, Paul plays drums on a good few tracks too, if, what they played was right for the song, it was a keeper and made the cut, I think that's what made the Beatles great, they all served the song and not their own egos.
I agree entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back