Beatles question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lennon was always the cool dude whilst Paul came over as scheming, tight fisted and parochial in the aftermath of the split IMHO.
The impact of 'Working class hero,' to me, a little lost soul at the time, was profound. Then the lyricism of '#9 Dream.' blew me away. The Shaved fish LP I played out.
It is always a matter of personal choice but post Beatles I thought Harrison eclipsed McCartney but Lennon was ahead of both of them for me.

Think Lennon produced some good stuff and Harrison to a lesser degree. Don't like McCartney's output though even though I think he was the most talented all round musician out the lot (in the Beatles anyway).

Think Lennon produced some good stuff and Harrison to a lesser degree. Don't like McCartney's output though even though I think he was the most talented all round musician out the lot (in the Beatles anyway).
McCartney always went down the more mainstream commercial route where Harrison, by far the best musician of the 3 was more experimental and made music for himself first.

Lennon played the rebel card.

Harrison wasn't the best musician.

Correct. He was the coolest mind.

McCartney was the best musician.

Yep.

Lennon the best writer
McCartney the most talented musician
Harrison the coolest
Ringo the best narrator of kids TV progs

Last edited:
Personally I think they both did good and bad songs. Neither could match the things they did in the 60s

They all resented each other in the end.

Kinda liked George Harrison's solo material as much

McCartney always went down the more mainstream commercial route where Harrison, by far the best musician of the 3 was more experimental and made music for himself first.

Lennon played the rebel card.

I like Harrison's solo stuff more than Lennon or McCartney but Harrison was nowhere near the best musician. He was a very ordinary guitarist for most the time he was in the Beatles. McCartney played an awful lot of the lead parts. Nor could he play drums or piano.

Right place right time. Why can't U2 ever produce another 'The Joshua Tree' or Radiohead produce another 'The Bends'? Nuk Kershaw was a brilliant song writer. Why don't we hear more from him? David Gilmoir and Roger Waters - neither of them have produced anything as fantastic as they did in the 79s and 80s.

I like Harrison's solo stuff more than Lennon or McCartney but Harrison was nowhere near the best musician. He was a very ordinary guitarist for most the time he was in the Beatles. McCartney played an awful lot of the lead parts. Nor could he play drums or piano.
If George Harrison his remembered only for the closing credits of Time Bandits then that's enough for me. Fantastic song. He did so much more. By a million miles my favourite Beatle.

Last edited:
Right place right time. Why can't U2 ever produce another 'The Joshua Tree' or Radiohead produce another 'The Bends'? Nuk Kershaw was a brilliant song writer. Why don't we hear more from him? David Gilmoir and Roger Waters - neither of them have produced anything as fantastic as they did in the 79s and 80s.

If George Harrison his remembered only for the closing credits of Time Bandits then that's enough for me. Fantastic song. He did so much more. By a million miles my favourite Beatle.

Radiohead wrote several albums after The Bends that blow it away. The didn't write another one like that as they put the guitars away as they were bored of them.

Oh, and right place right time doesn't really apply when you write classic after classic after classic albums over a lengthy period of time.

Radiohead wrote several albums after The Bends that blow it away.

Oh, and right place right time doesn't really apply when you write classic after classic after classic albums over a lengthy period of time.
Was it really that long though? How long has John Lennon been dead? Compare that to the success span of The Beatles? The right place and right time doesn't have to be a couple of hours.

I like a couple of Radiohead's subsequent albums, particularly OK Computer, very much but they're nowhere near The Bends which is phenomenal. (In my own opinion of course).

Was it really that long though? How long has John Lennon been dead? Compare that to the success span of The Beatles? The right place and right time doesn't have to be a couple of hours.

I like a couple of Radiohead's subsequent albums, particularly OK Computer, very much but they're nowhere near The Bends which is phenomenal. (In my own opinion of course).

The Beatles were around for many a year (was it eight or nine?) writing sublime music throughout that time.

Each to their own. The bends and OK Computer are great guitar albums with the albums that followed were much more advanced and a lot more interesting. Kid A and In Rainbows are both masterpieces (IMO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back