Be here now

There’s a bit on the Defiantly Maybe documentary where he talks about it. Turned everything up to 11 & created a “wall of sound”. It meant when you were in the pub & Oasis came on it was louder than the last record & the one that went next.

Anyhow, it cut to Noel next & he basically took the piss & said it was all bollocks

I quite like Lyla (rip off from a Soundtrack of our Lives track). Quite like the Importance of Being Idle as a Kinks homage. Little by Little bores the tits off me.

But aye, Lians songwriting improved considerably. Not hard if you’re starting off at the bottom like. I can’t believe it got anywhere near the record. Probably a sign of where they at the time that they thought everything they touched was golden.
Genius the jukebox thing, i thought Noel said it was true but was an unintended yet beneficial consequence of the way they recorded back then.

I thought Lyla, TIOBI & LbL were rubbish tbh. I mean I can put them on and enjoy listening to them as a one off, but I would never go out of my way to listen to them the way I would with most of the rest of their back catalogue.

Liams songwriting was fairly up and down I thought, Songbird that everyone seemed to rate didn’t do much for me, likewise I’m Outta Time and Ain’t Got Nothin’, but The Meaning of Soul, Guess God Thinks I’m Abel and particularly Born On A Different Cloud, Better Man and Soldier On are up there with anything they did I think.

Do you know what I mean is one of the worst on the album but they still made it a single

Stand by me and all around the world were great as was girl in the dirty shirt and magic pie. There’s some of their worst songs on that album along with standing on the shoulder of giants. Im pleased they turned it around again and released some of their best work after

I'm not really a fan of oasis, I like most of def maybe & a lot of the masterplan album. But stand by me & All around the world are for me their worst songs that I actually switch over if come on the radio

Do you know what I mean is one of the worst on the album but they still made it a single

Stand by me and all around the world were great as was girl in the dirty shirt and magic pie. There’s some of their worst songs on that album along with standing on the shoulder of giants. Im pleased they turned it around again and released some of their best work after

Nope. DYKWIM is clearly the best song on the album. It's huge. My Big Mouth and the title track make up the best three.

Stand by me and girl in the dirty shirt are horrendous plodders. Even Magic Pie is average at best.

Last edited:
Nope. DYKWIM is clearly the best song on the album. It's huge. My Big Mouth and the title track make up the best three.

Stand by me and girl in the dirty shirt are horrendous plodders. Even Magic Pie is average at best.
I’ve always liked Girl in the Dirty Shirt. Canny melody. I always thought I liked Magic Pie, but I’ve just thought about it & it isn’t up to much.

I f***ing hate Don’t Go Away. Don’t know why. The lyrics are good. Just grinds on me.

I’ve always liked Girl in the Dirty Shirt. Canny melody. I always thought I liked Magic Pie, but I’ve just thought about it & it isn’t up to much.

I f***ing hate Don’t Go Away. Don’t know why. The lyrics are good. Just grinds on me.
Noel lifted the lyrics for the chorus from this song for Don't Go Away.

I think the issue with songs like Don't Go Away and Stand By Me is that they're a bit too obvious and direct. They went from "someday you will find me, caught behind the landslide, in a champagne supernova in the sky" to "don't go away, say that you'll stay, forever and a day".

Listening to the Deluxe edition now with the record, demos & a collection of odds & sods from that time.

I think the issue with songs like Don't Go Away and Stand By Me is that they're a bit too obvious and direct. They went from "someday you will find me, caught behind the landslide, in a champagne supernova in the sky" to "don't go away, say that you'll stay, forever and a day".
Didn’t know he’d ripped that one off. Well, the chorus.

Here’s another one which I don’t think is widely known.

Listening to the Deluxe edition now with the record, demos & a collection of odds & sods from that time.

I never knew he'd ripped that song off. Very clever really the way he lifted the lyrics and just slightly tweaked them to a point where they couldn't be accused of plagiarism.

I always enjoy dont go away, fade in out, stand by me, its getting better man, i think the hate for the album is a bit OTT i was a kid at the time in secondary school n Oasis were my first band so that’ll influence things but i dont mind its like !

Yes some songs are overblown n a bit bollocks but overall its good man

think they sound class on the tour aswell

I never knew he'd ripped that song off. Very clever really the way he lifted the lyrics and just slightly tweaked them to a point where they couldn't be accused of plagiarism.
He had enough practice! Not that I’m knocking it, he created something amazing. Far from the absolute boring dirge he releases these days.

Loved it! Remember the night before release (night before GCSE results) there was a documentary about it - Stand by me acoustic sounded mega! Bought it the next day, did shite in my exams and then spent the day in the dunn cow drinking orange hooch.

Book of Rules is a poem set to music. Poem was by Robert Lee Sharpe called Bag of Tools, or sometimes called Makers of Eternity, from sometime in the 30s i think. He died in the 50s.

The Masterplan is just a best of of b-sides. Even then some of my favourite tunes, like Round Are Way & D’yer Wanna Be A Spaceman weren't added. Apparently it was fan voted for, with a couple slipped in by the band.

DYWBAS was one of the first songs I learned to play on guitar. for a beginner its one of those thats really siimple to play but sounds quite effective

The connection with the real people & oasis goes way back to before they were even signed, they helped them record demos for Def Maybe in Liverpool & are credited on the record, one of them sings on Supersonic, one co-wrote Rockin Chair with Noel and although Noel is credited with writing it they are at least partly responsible for Columbia, with Liam responsible for the chorus.
Speaking of which, you can hear the acid house influences here, which maybe unsurprising since Noel has talked about getting off his tits in the Hacienda

Which oasis song are you thinking of there? I might be being thick but I can’t hear one?

Last edited:
The connection with the real people & oasis goes way back to before they were even signed, they helped them record demos for Def Maybe in Liverpool & are credited on the record, one of them sings on Supersonic, one co-wrote Rockin Chair with Noel and although Noel is credited with writing it they are at least partly responsible for Columbia, with Liam responsible for the chorus.
Speaking of which, you can hear the acid house influences here, which maybe unsurprising since Noel has talked about getting off his tits in the Hacienda

Which oasis song are you thinking of there? I might be being thick but I can’t hear one?
It’s the lyrics. Go Let It Out

Book of Rules
Isn't it strange how princesses and kings
In clown-ragged capers in sawdust rings
While common people like you and me
We'll be builders for eternity

Go Let It Out
Is it any wonder why princes and kings
Are clowns that caper in their sawdust rings
Ordinary people that are like you and me
We're the keepers of their destiny

However, it appears both of them ripped it from a poem, as discovered by @What A Waster

Book of Rules is a poem set to music. Poem was by Robert Lee Sharpe called Bag of Tools, or sometimes called Makers of Eternity, from sometime in the 30s i think. He died in the 50s.

It’s the lyrics. Go Let It Out

Book of Rules
Isn't it strange how princesses and kings
In clown-ragged capers in sawdust rings
While common people like you and me
We'll be builders for eternity

Go Let It Out
Is it any wonder why princes and kings
Are clowns that caper in their sawdust rings
Ordinary people that are like you and me
We're the keepers of their destiny

However, it appears both of them ripped it from a poem, as discovered by @What A Waster
Ah cool, I remember the crack at the time being about it sampling ‘I walk on guilded splinters’ but hadn’t heard about the lyrics being lifted from somewhere. Being honest I couldn’t even hear those lyrics in that track above!

Huge Oasis fan, thought Be Here Now was decent enough, just not the heights of the first two albums but in reality, that was almost impossible. The first two songs are brilliant and the rest of it is hit and miss.

FWIW, I really liked Don't Believe the Truth - can't believe Turn up the Sun wasn't used more live before they split, and Dig out Your Soul is another good album. Heathen Chemistry and Standing on the Shoulders of Giants had their moments, but too many mediocre songs.

Back