Be here now

It is absolutely shite.

I think it has 4 or 5 good oasis songs on it. But even the good ones suffer from being too long.
I like the album in the way that I like the beatles white album.
It has good or very good bits, has terrible bits. It's a good representation of where each band were at the time.
I didn't live through the Beatles releasing the white album but at the time they had never dropped a bollock in their career.
At that point in oasis they couldn't do wrong. Then be here now came out. People pretended it was the best ever but really it wasn't.
Good snapshot of the time for that band though.
The live versions of songs from that album during that tour are generally better than the album versions

I think it has 4 or 5 good oasis songs on it. But even the good ones suffer from being too long.
I like the album in the way that I like the beatles white album.
It has good or very good bits, has terrible bits. It's a good representation of where each band were at the time.
I didn't live through the Beatles releasing the white album but at the time they had never dropped a bollock in their career.
At that point in oasis they couldn't do wrong. Then be here now came out. People pretended it was the best ever but really it wasn't.
Good snapshot of the time for that band though.
The live versions of songs from that album during that tour are generally better than the album versions
So to summarise your long winded post it was utter shite.

So to summarise your long winded post it was utter shite.
Nah, just shite. Not utter shite. A few redeeming features.
Better than a lot of the bands of the era could achieve. But not up to the standard of the biggest band of the era.

Maybe it's like a football team finishing 3rd or 4th after winning the league and cup double 2 seasons previously.
3rd or 4th isn't terrible, but what's came before makes it shite.

I missed out on the huge wave of Britpop as I was over here and it was before everything was readily available on the internet.
But I just saw a documentary about Oasis called ‘Supersonic’ in which there’s a theme that they went from being an unsigned garage band to Knebworth and several nights at Maine Road in 2.5 years. That’s some wild ride like!

I don't know what's happened to me, but this is slowly becoming one of my favourite albums of all time
Always loved it me. Used to have the gig at the Manchester G-Mex on tape & watched that so many times. The people who say they pretended to like it, but really think it’s shit, that’s what happened with SOTSOG for me.
I missed out on the huge wave of Britpop as I was over here and it was before everything was readily available on the internet.
But I just saw a documentary about Oasis called ‘Supersonic’ in which there’s a theme that they went from being an unsigned garage band to Knebworth and several nights at Maine Road in 2.5 years. That’s some wild ride like!
Oasis never “cracked America” or whatever that means, but they still played huge gigs over there, Maddison Sq Gardens & stuff. We Supersonic your intro to them?
3 of my favourite oasis tracks are on that album (although was stand by me originally a b-side?) don’t get the hate for the album myself.
Nah, never a b-side, but I think it was one of the very early songs, knocking about from Definitely Maybe, even before that only got done for Be Here Now.

Last edited:
Be here now was the polar opposite of what’s the story. The second album was so eagerly awaited everyone decided they loved it before it was released. And it was good.

By the time of Be Here Now inter- band fighting was a big factor and pressure from the media intense.

The album sold really well on release and is still a huge seller.

It’s unfair to say it’s crap - it has some good songs but more importantly it is a vivid insight to where the band were at that time.

History may be kinder to it.

Last edited:

I had a ticket to see Oasis at the Wedgwood Rooms (pokey little back street place in Southsea) in May 1994. Couldn't go cos of work commitments and couldn't give the ticket away for nowt. A couple of months later they were the biggest band in the country!

First two songs are tremendous, both monsters. As is the title track. Not too bothered about much else.

The tour though was class, most of the songs come across better live. Almost every gig they are out of their heads on coke too.

Fade in out live is one of their best ever offerings. Why they didn't record the album version in the same style still baffles me.

The GMEX performance of it is massive. Found this recording of it from a gig in Sweden which is class. Its a crowd recording so fuck know how good the sound board of it would've been.

Back