BBC2 9pm Tonight (The funeral murders)

Never heard of the Herford/Hereford mix up until now. Easy mistake to make i guess, if u didn’t take geography. Also don’t recall ever having my garrison or unit location on my ID. Think that bit was fabricated myself.

Hard watch that them poor lads. I dont think anyone really knows why they ended up driving that way. All i can think is older bloke thought hed show the young un around but made a major fuck up.

Surely if they saw the funeral ahead why didn't they just park up at a safe distance until it had passed or just turn around and drive off?

Why draw attention to themselves.

Surely if they saw the funeral ahead why didn't they just park up at a safe distance until it had passed or just turn around and drive off?

Why draw attention to themselves.

They panicked it looks like after going the wrong way and then mob hysteria took over.

the most important 30 seconds of that documentary came at the start. Paraphrased as "IRA objective - to kill as many British soldiers as possible". If you want to roll into British land and attempt to murder and maim then how can they expect the British Army & RUC to stand about and protect them in Gibraltar/Milltown?

Still a mystery why the 2 British soldiers were at the funeral, why they didn't drive through the crowds, use more force to try and escape

Shocking times

Amazing Stone is still alive after Milltown. Had the RUC not been there on scene he would have been ripped limb from limb in minutes. The mob had just caught him before he was saved

must have been, and to some extent still be, a strange place to live , two communities living alongside one another who detest each other

must have been, and to some extent still be, a strange place to live , two communities living alongside one another who detest each other
Still is, you don't even need scratch the surface tbh. Great city and very friendly people but loads of deeply entrenched hatred too.

While the programme was a reminder of terrible times it didn't really achieve anything as both sides will just argue black is white and vice versa

Never heard of the Herford/Hereford mix up until now. Easy mistake to make i guess, if u didn’t take geography. Also don’t recall ever having my garrison or unit location on my ID. Think that bit was fabricated myself.
I think it was something that was on the IDs at the time, I joined up shortly after this!

Still a mystery why the 2 British soldiers were at the funeral, why they didn't drive through the crowds, use more force to try and escape

Shocking times
Hard watch that them poor lads. I dont think anyone really knows why they ended up driving that way. All i can think is older bloke thought hed show the young un around but made a major fuck up.
Aye that's the only explanation really, I'm surprised nothing's ever come out about what they were actually supposed to be doing

Back