Bands/singers that you didn't listen to properly and appreciate how good the are...

Discussion in 'SMB' started by Junior Birdman, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Just about any rock band from the 70s - a time when musicians were musicians.

T_Bone and JAZZMANB like this.
  2. Nicky Winterwasp

Nicky Winterwasp Midfield

Bay city rollers

3. Tartan pop is not rock...

4. riffraff

riffraff Striker

Aaaah. Now your cooking with gas. Seen em at Tiffany’s in Newcastle in 1985 or 86. One of me top three gigs ever.

Junior Birdman likes this.
  5. Nicky Winterwasp

Nicky Winterwasp Midfield

True rock and roll

6. Junior Birdman

Junior Birdman Striker

Unfortunately I was too young to see them then. First saw them in 95 at Cardiff, then three further times since. Superb band.

7. Deano

Deano Striker Contributor

Took me a long while to "get" Belle and Sebastian. Much enjoyment had when I did

8. Crayola-Kid

Crayola-Kid Midfield

Sounds like you got the better end of the deal ;)

9. Love Affair, after that "thanks Donald and Methvan thread" on the PF forum

10. MirdifMakem

MirdifMakem Central Defender

Chicago Transit Authority (aka Chicago)

11. bu-bu-buchanon

bu-bu-buchanon Striker

For some reason when I was a moody teenager and the absolute target market, I decided I didn’t like The Pixies. How wrong I was. Took a bbc4 documentary to make me give them a try and think they’re brilliant now !

12. Mickdundee

Mickdundee Goalkeeper

I agree with this to an extent. I wouldn’t necessarily say I think they are brilliant but I like them and used to say they were crap.

Frank Black producing Pete Yorn’s self titled album was what made me give them another go.

13. Junior Birdman

Junior Birdman Striker

:evil:;)

14. Boinger

Boinger Winger

The Temptations and Four Tops

vinegar hill and T_Bone like this.
  15. chriswallace85

chriswallace85 Striker

Sorta felt this way about The Clash up until a few year ago. Liked the singles n that but didn't think they were worth much more effort. I think I wanted everything to be White Riot, London Calling or Clash City Rockers but it's not, and I don't think I quite got that at first. I probably prefer their more refined or reggae-infused type material these days.

16. kingmonkey

kingmonkey Winger

Had planet of sound on a compilation and based them on that when I was younger.
    What a fucking band! Kim deals voice opposite Francis's vocal over those head fuck guitars, it's just great. Seen them a couple of times. Their gig at the Mayfair in about 89 is on you tube.

bu-bu-buchanon likes this.
  17. Scimmy

Scimmy Striker

Amazing to think that their singer when they released "Everlasting Love" was only 16 or 17. What a voice. Comparable to Steve Marriott of Humble Pie.

18. Kevsgreat

Kevsgreat Striker

They were a bit before my time (I was six in 89) but I got well into them in my teens. Since they reformed I managed to see them at the Academy in Newcastle a couple of year ago. One of my favourite gigs just cos it was them I was watching. No Kim Deal like but Paz Lenchantin is a spot on replacement.

kingmonkey likes this.
  19. kingmonkey

kingmonkey Winger

The sound they make is like nothing else.

Saw them playing with paz a couple of years back, big shoes to fill but she was great.

Kevsgreat likes this.
  20. safcrhys

safcrhys Winger

Daughtry.

LadyMuck likes this.