Bands/singers that you didn't listen to properly and appreciate how good the are...

Townes Van Zandt, heard a song of his on the soundtrack to three billboards in ebbing Missouri and my daughter bought me a box set of his albums as I was saying how good it was. What a songwriter

Townes Van Zandt, heard a song of his on the soundtrack to three billboards in ebbing Missouri and my daughter bought me a box set of his albums as I was saying how good it was. What a songwriter
Not so interesting fact - country legend Steve Earle named his son (Justin Townes Earle, who is also a very good musician) after Townes Van Zandt

I remember I didn’t really like Prince and by extension Purple Rain, because it used to get done a lot on X Factor (I was a kid) that I watched with the family, and it was crap. I didn’t get him. I now think it’s one of the greatest songs ever, I’m not into Prince’s music but there’s little snippets I like and I have an appreciation of how brilliant he was.

Me little brother likes Rage Against The Machine and when he initially displayed his taste, I was skeptical. But I like their sound in retrospect. Same with Tool and System of a Down in parts. Some great songs amongst them.

I’ve almost forced myself to like Bob Dylan.
I kept hearing good things so I thought I’d give him a go. After listening to a few albums at work (background noise really) every now and again I’d pick up on certain lyrics and they’d stick with me. So I pretty much leave him on repeat now and after a few weeks I’m really starting to like him :lol::lol:

Bands I got heavily in to that I hadn't given too much time for in their earlier years would be Siouxsie & The Banshees and Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds. The exciting thing is when this happens you have the whole back catalogue to explore. Also I didn't hear a full Pixies album until 1990 (Bossanova). Once I did, I didn't waste much time in checking out the earlier records Come On Pilgrim, Surfer Rosa and Doolittle. I was blown away.

Blind Melon. Never looked beyond the two famous singles and assumed that was the sort of band they were all the time. Eventually came into ownership of their self-titled first album and was shocked at how different the rest of the album was. Awesome stuff. Now one of my favourite albums.

Cat Power. Never really seriously listened to her. Began making my way through all her stuff a couple of months back. Bought her first three albums in quick succession. Hearing the song below on a spotify playlist started me off.
From what I've heard this stands out too..
Interesting cover she did.

Last edited:

Back