Ballon d’Or 2019

Was Messi better than Mane this year?

Probably aye. For example he got 51 goals last season, pretty standard for Messi, but highly unusual for footballers to score that many really. Top scorer La Liga, was part of a title winning team. We take it for granted with Messi(and Ronaldo tbf) because his outrageous stats are so high and so consistent that when he scores 50 goals nobody bats an eyelid, but they're genuinely ridiculous figures.
Mane was good but didn't really match Messi.

Was Messi better than Mane this year?
A joke i assume?
Messi is without a doubt the greatest that ever live like. Ronaldo is the only player that’s ever came close to being better but Messi is on another level like. I think we are privileged to be alive at the same time to see these two greats
I finally got to see him live last week against Dortmund. Hes something else like. He makes it look easy

Last edited:
A joke i assume?

I finally got to see him live last week against Dortmund. Hes something else like. He makes it look easy
He's been making it look easy, since he was a kid.
If you haven't seen it yet, look for Messi's goal vs Getafe, on youtube 😉
Even if you've seen it before, it's still worth another look.
Absolutely amazing at full speed, and in slow motion. 👍

What I don't get about all the Messi praisers is, they all seem like the only thing they care about, are the skills with the ball. Not a lot give a damn about defensive skills, workrate, breakup play etc.

The reason I personally think Messi is the GOAT is because of the way he makes it look easy and isn’t even trying. Ronaldo is phenomenally good but he looks to be busting a gut, playing out of his skin, running through brick walls. That’s commendable in itself but with Messi it just looks so natural.

What I don't get about all the Messi praisers is, they all seem like the only thing they care about, are the skills with the ball. Not a lot give a damn about defensive skills, workrate, breakup play etc.
He does a hell of a lot more, than just score goals.
He defends, he drags defenders out of position, with his off the ball movement, he relieves pressure, by running with the ball, he holds the ball up well, to bring colleagues into play, he sets colleagues up to score, his vision to pick out colleagues is second to none, as is his work rate.

Last edited by a moderator:
He does a hell of a lot more, than just score goals.
He defends, he drags defenders out of position, with his off the ball movement, he relieves pressure, by running with the ball, he holds the ball up well, to bring colleagues into play, he sets colleagues up to score, his vision to pick out colleagues is second to none, as is his work rate.
I appreciate seeing someone point out more than just the usual stuff. I do not agree about the defending part though, I barely remember seeing him doing a tackle not worthy of a booking for example.
Let me ask you this: What would you rather have, Messi or VvD on every position?

Youre judging an attacker on workrate, breaking up play and defensive skills?
I appreciate seeing someone point out more than just the usual stuff. I do not agree about the defending part though, I barely remember seeing him doing a tackle not worthy of a booking for example.
Let me ask you this: What would you rather have, Messi or VvD on every position?
Are you on glue?

Strange argument but give me a team of 11 Messi’s over 11 VVD’s. Messi is the best footballer to ever play the game.

Should have been Van Dijk :lol:

Great CB but nowhere near as quality as the PL fanboys make out.

Has 3 yes 3 defensive midfielders shielding him every match - when he plays for Holland and doesn't have the luxury he's not as near impressive.

Saw a sky poll where some were saying he's a better CB than the likes Terry, Vidic & Ferdinand :lol:

Youre judging an attacker on workrate, breaking up play and defensive skills?

Are you on glue?
Are you?
What I mean is naturally that these are skills for other positions on the field, but that some people things that these skills dont matter when looking at who's the best footballer.

Back