Baggage allowance

I flew with Ryanair last week and had to listen to a woman complain endlessly because she was charged excess for her baggage because she’d paid for 20kg but her case was 20.7. Apparently she should have been allowed more baggage than she’d paid for.

They stopped checking religiously after they realised flights were picking up delays when every flight had 7 or 8 people needing to pay, then get their bags checked into the hold.

Low cost airlines need really quick loading and unloading. Someone on here said 40 minutes from doors open to doors closed.

So a few minutes per passenger (to have a short argument, to process the payment, label and load the bag) to make a few quid is going to add up when timing is that tight. At a busy airport a short delay might mean missing a departure time and further delays. Over the course of a day that adds up.

Plus they make more from people paying for priority boarding (because people now want to get their bags somewhere near their seat) than they probably do from the oversized bag charge.

Only really seen it enforced by Wizzair in Budapest

It’s a backpack but it is er ‘squashable’
I do a backpack type trip every year . Mines more square over my shoulder
My mates is one of those round cylinder tote bags over his shoulder
Never stopped
Use jet2 Ej and Ryanair. I've also walked on with a crash helmet last 3 years . Nowt said
Radical solution but take one that is within the allowance.
Sounds like it is just not a rectangle like the hole

Last edited:
I flew with Ryanair last week and had to listen to a woman complain endlessly because she was charged excess for her baggage because she’d paid for 20kg but her case was 20.7. Apparently she should have been allowed more baggage than she’d paid for.
Unusual that, mind.

Normally, if they say 20kg, they'll allow a bit of leeway for people's scales not being calibrated the same as theirs and let them take up to 20.9kg, for example.

I tend to try to keep our cases just under but with the missus being 'unable' (unwilling) to travel light, it's not always possible. We've never had any problems flying with the likes of Jet2 and TUI.

You did say it was Ryanair, though, so that probably explains it.

Radical solution but take one that is within the allowance.
This.....I couldn't be arsed trying to find a way around an airlines enforced rules, no matter how ridiculous I thought they were....It's only an extra £20 or something, you pay that for a 6:15 am pint of Moretti and a glass of Prosecco!

I honestly would rather go home than be that person who empties their suitcase at the the check in desk, trying to transfer 1.8kg of duds into their hand luggage.
I'm flying to Poland with Ryan air next year. Do I need to fit my clothes in a money bag?
Or wear them all at once

This.....I couldn't be arsed trying to find a way around an airlines enforced rules, no matter how ridiculous I thought they were....It's only an extra £20 or something, you pay that for a 6:15 am pint of Moretti and a glass of Prosecco!

I honestly would rather go home than be that person who empties their suitcase at the the check in desk, trying to transfer 1.8kg of duds into their hand luggage.
This.

Flew with Ryanair three times last week and bags were checked on all three flights.

They stopped checking religiously after they realised flights were picking up delays when every flight had 7 or 8 people needing to pay, then get their bags checked into the hold.

Low cost airlines need really quick loading and unloading. Someone on here said 40 minutes from doors open to doors closed.

So a few minutes per passenger (to have a short argument, to process the payment, label and load the bag) to make a few quid is going to add up when timing is that tight. At a busy airport a short delay might mean missing a departure time and further delays. Over the course of a day that adds up.

Plus they make more from people paying for priority boarding (because people now want to get their bags somewhere near their seat) than they probably do from the oversized bag charge.

Only really seen it enforced by Wizzair in Budapest

I was reading through the replies and was getting ready to add, that WizzAir are vicious in that they will 100% check.

I fly a lot, and in general size matters. I have never personally been checked, nor seen anyone checked for weight. Which is lucky because my bag for weight is usually well over the 8 or 10kg thresholds.

I sometimes see people with bags far far too big, and get away with it. As a general rule of thumb though, unless it is a mini suitcase trolly they don't care.

Last edited:

Back