Australia in Lockdown . ......news

But but I thought they had cracked it and were back to normal, full house at the MCG etc.

Think 70% of population under lockdown at the moment. Only 4% of population vaccinated. Little immunity in the population The threat of being in 'lockdown' at anytime for 'positive tests' on the whim of a state Premier under the direction of a public health official. Thousands of Aussies unable to get home or leave. North Korea would be impressed. No end in sight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Think 70% of population under lockdown at the moment. Only 4% of population vaccinated. Little immunity in the population The threat of being in 'lockdown' at anytime for 'positive tests' on the whim of a state Premier under the direction of a public health official. Thousands of Aussies unable to get home or leave. North Korea would be impressed. No end in sight.
Lol.

Yeah. I'd imagine New Zealand will be in the same boat, no herd immunity and locking down at the first hint of cases. It's no way to live in the long term.

Yeah. I'd imagine New Zealand will be in the same boat, no herd immunity and locking down at the first hint of cases. It's no way to live in the long term.
Not cheap either "The $311bn figure captures only the spending side – a downturn in revenue has also contributed to the $161bn budget deficit." It's 1.84 dollars to the pound. The Aussie politicians have dug themselves into a hole as they cant suddenly say cases don't matter like the stage where we are. You should hear them speak about cases as if its the black death.

Not cheap either "The $311bn figure captures only the spending side – a downturn in revenue has also contributed to the $161bn budget deficit." It's 1.84 dollars to the pound. The Aussie politicians have dug themselves into a hole as they cant suddenly say cases don't matter like the stage where we are. You should hear them speak about cases as if its the black death.

Unfortunately once COVID starts spreading in large numbers, it's really hard to contain.

People downplay the infection fatality rate, they say things like "99.9% of people survive COVID what's the big deal" and they'd be right if COVID wasn't so damn infectious.

When I first heard there was a novel coronavirus with an estimated IFR of 1% - not 0.1%, but 1%. - I wasn't concerned because SARS and MERS have far higher rates and were successfully contained...but COVID-19 is different.

COVID-19 is far more transmissible - it reaches big numbers of people, and unfortunately, even a small proportion of a big number, is still a big number. It isn't the risk of mortality from COVID that's scary, so downplaying it by comparing it to the plague is inappropriate, it's the proliferation of COVID that's scary - it gets everywhere and is really hard to contain.

We might look at Australia and New Zealand and say oh they got it wrong, they have no population immunity and are slow with the vaccines, but we've had approximately 130,000 deaths within 28 days of a positive test, and 150,000 deaths where COVID is mentioned on the death certificate.

Australia have had less than 1,000 COVID deaths. New Zealand have had 26. There have been more COVID-19 deaths in Seaburn, yes Seaburn, than the entire country of New Zealand.

Unfortunately once COVID starts spreading in large numbers, it's really hard to contain.

People downplay the infection fatality rate, they say things like "99.9% of people survive COVID what's the big deal" and they'd be right if COVID wasn't so damn infectious.

When I first heard there was a novel coronavirus with an estimated IFR of 1% - not 0.1%, but 1%. - I wasn't concerned because SARS and MERS have far higher rates and were successfully contained...but COVID-19 is different.

COVID-19 is far more transmissible - it reaches big numbers of people, and unfortunately, even a small proportion of a big number, is still a big number. It isn't the risk of mortality from COVID that's scary, so downplaying it by comparing it to the plague is inappropriate, it's the proliferation of COVID that's scary - it gets everywhere and is really hard to contain.

We might look at Australia and New Zealand and say oh they got it wrong, they have no population immunity and are slow with the vaccines, but we've had approximately 130,000 deaths within 28 days of a positive test, and 150,000 deaths where COVID is mentioned on the death certificate.

Australia have had less than 1,000 COVID deaths. New Zealand have had 26. There have been more COVID-19 deaths in Seaburn, yes Seaburn, than the entire country of New Zealand.
If they'd managed to get their vaccination numbers up to a similar % as us they'd be coming out of this really well. Unfortunately (I've no idea why) they don't seem to have bothered.

Back