Australia in Lockdown . ......news

the 60 year old bloke who first caught it wasn't even wearing a mask (or vaccinated) even though he was driving aircrew to/from the airport.
one of the problems of living in virtual normality is that people have definitely become complacent (particularly about vaccinations).
hopefully this does improve vaccinations numbers, it certainly seems to have done so. i've got my shot on friday and apparently it's been chocka block there over the last week.

the 60 year old bloke who first caught it wasn't even wearing a mask (or vaccinated) even though he was driving aircrew to/from the airport.
one of the problems of living in virtual normality is that people have definitely become complacent (particularly about vaccinations).
hopefully this does improve vaccinations numbers, it certainly seems to have done so. i've got my shot on friday and apparently it's been chocka block there over the last week.

So rather than a case of supply issues would you say it’s more so been complacency from a) the government to really push and campaign for people to be vaccinated and b) the public’s appetite for it when there’s been so few cases/deaths anyway?

So rather than a case of supply issues would you say it’s more so been complacency from a) the government to really push and campaign for people to be vaccinated and b) the public’s appetite for it when there’s been so few cases/deaths anyway?

initially incompetency from the federal gov regarding supply (still an issue) but then that also led to the complatency from the public thinking we could just carry on regardless.
there's more of a drive to get vaccinated now as this has been a kick up the arse.

it's f***ing contagious though, one person caught it by just being close to someone with it while in a shop (they tracked them by the shop's cctv).

You really think even if we had locked down earlier we would be just having a few hundred cases....

It might have lessened it a bit but a doubt it would have made just difference... Just the growth might have been a bit slower
Slower growth would have given more time to vaccinate people. It would have still kicked off, just like it will across Europe, but it'd have had less of an impact.

It's not really having a substantial impact now other than case numbers
Its got 3 of my 4 school age grandkids sat at home again ( 3 different schools ), its running amok through schools now.
Thankfully parents have been told that in september , after the holidays, children will no longer have to isolate when a classmate tests positive. The "positive" child will be sent home and the rest can stay at school and will be regularly tested.

Its got 3 of my 4 school age grandkids sat at home again ( 3 different schools ), its running amok through schools now.
Thankfully parents have been told that in september , after the holidays, children will no longer have to isolate when a classmate tests positive. The "positive" child will be sent home and the rest can stay at school and will be regularly tested.
It doesn’t help that kids have found if you put a bit of fruit juice on a lateral flow test, it will show a false positive result.

Fancy a few days off lads? Harry it’s your turn, break out the Del Monte.

Hopefully they can get a grip on it. At least they’ve delayed the outbreak enough to have testing, tracing and a vaccine ready to go.

It’s an odd one. I assumed they’d be cracking on. Supply issues maybe?
Supply is a contributory factor, they threw their hat in with Astrazeneca and now everyone's scared to take it because the age advice keeps moving. I'd say complacency is the biggest factor. No panic on the vaccine front because we'd all but eradicated it. Unfortunately Delta is a game changer. Quarantine breaches are the problem. The failure of the various state and federal governments to make front-line workers be vaccinated is causing this. It's a f***ing no brainer, get vaccinated or get another job. Pandering to snowflakes is going to cost us billions.
I had my first AZ shot a few weeks back before the outbreak and it was pretty busy until I got to the first checkpoint and they can see you're having AZ. Whisked all the way down the line up the stairs and into the virtually empty Astrazeneca hub. A few questions and I was getting the jab within a couple of mins. The 15min post jab observation took longer. I'm 50 and they changed the age range about 3days after I got it to Pfizer recommended. It's still September though before I can get the 2nd jab. If nobody is getting it they may as well bring the gap in.
Ashes series down under this winter. Can't see them allowing travelling supporters in.
That's not even open for debate.

Last edited:
Supply is a contributory factor, they threw their hat in with Astrazeneca and now everyone's scared to take it because the age advice keeps moving. I'd say complacency is the biggest factor. No panic on the vaccine front because we'd all but eradicated it. Unfortunately Delta is a game changer. Quarantine breaches are the problem. The failure of the various state and federal governments to make front-line workers be vaccinated is causing this. It's a f***ing no brainer, get vaccinated or get another job. Pandering to snowflakes is going to cost us billions.

I had my first AZ shot a few weeks back before the outbreak and it was pretty busy until I got to the first checkpoint and they can see you're having AZ. Whisked all the way down the line up the stairs and into the virtually empty Astrazeneca hub. A few questions and I was getting the jab within a couple of mins. The 15min post jab observation took longer. I'm 50 and they changed the age range about 3days after I got it to Pfizer recommended. It's still September though before I can get the 2nd jab. If nobody is getting it they may as well bring the gap in.

yeah I could have got the Astra one but then got the option of pfizer (with only a couple of weeks between jabs) so took that one instead. i'm only 15 mins from homebush so hopefully it won't take too long.

But but I thought they had cracked it and were back to normal, full house at the MCG etc.
But they handled it so well....
You're having a laugh if you think we haven’t handled this pandemic well.
yeah I could have got the Astra one but then got the option of pfizer (with only a couple of weeks between jabs) so took that one instead. i'm only 15 mins from homebush so hopefully it won't take too long.
I hung on for awhile waiting for pfizer then thought fuck it, all the family in England have had Astrazeneca. Had it on the Thursday and they changed the range on the weekend. :p

Last edited:
If they'd managed to get their vaccination numbers up to a similar % as us they'd be coming out of this really well. Unfortunately (I've no idea why) they don't seem to have bothered.
It’s an odd one. I assumed they’d be cracking on. Supply issues maybe?

This and this. Some spanner completely screwed up the numbers for orders, we have AZ vaccines in an abundance, but no Pfizer, so anyone under-50 is Sh&% outta luck at the moment. Given the population median lean towards the 'younger' end of the scale it's been a bit of a balls up. Some premiers went 'just give everyone the AZ one! Cobbah!', until the senior medical advisor went 'nah, that's a bad idea, blood clots and all that'. Shame as it has been fairly well controlled here, definitely compared to some countries.

someone who attended the vaccination centre that i'm going to tomorrow has tested positive for covid. i'm sure that will stop a few people from heading out there (or to others). pure coincidence but there you go

Back