Australia 🇦🇺 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 1st Ashes Test ⚱️ Brisbane

Need to find room for Broad and Anderson. Ultimately our bowling isn't too bad. Batting wise we are an absolute embarrassment. My thoughts are clear to all on here about how we have neglected the red ball game for years now, it's utter shameful and we are utterly obsessed with the slog fest cricket and the introduction of the 100 again shows no respect to red ball cricket and it won't change anytime soon. Pretty much a case of damage limitation as far as I'm concerned. I watched about 90 minutes this morning and it was embarrassing to watch but ever so predictable. We have made a very average Australia side look world class who I believe lost their last year series to a second string Indian test side at home? We're simply not very good, the ECB don't give a toss and I sometimes wonder whether the players do, as some of them look so fragile and very weak. You always look to your openers to set the tone, stamp authority on the opposition.... Those two we currently have aren't strong and we haven't been strong for a long time consistently. Not much coming through either. So much wrong and so many to blame.
I agree. But I can’t think of a board that doesn’t prioritise white ball massively. I wonder when Kohli last played a domestic red ball game for example

I agree. But I can’t think of a board that doesn’t prioritise white ball massively. I wonder when Kohli last played a domestic red ball game for example
They are not prioritising their white-ball game to the detriment of the red ball though. Look at New Zealand a nation of only a few million and they continue to produce world-class test cricketers and perform in the short form of the game. England structure their summers around the white ball and only play first-class matches at the start and arse end of the season 🤔

Last edited:
Don't disagree I just think we've gone too extreme. Always a fine balance and we've just gone obsessive with the slog fest which we failed to win last month. What's even more bizarre is we are 50 over world champions and have now thrown the 50 over game on the scrap heap at county level.

Burns and Pope should go? Easy words until Crawley, Bairstow and Lawrence play, fail again and the same argument is made against them. I’m not sure if the answer but it’s very 1990s if we are just dropping the likes of Pope one test into a series. What do we do if Crawley or Lawrence have a bad match?
I take your point. I guess we're stuck with Burns, but I would have Bairstow over Pope.

I take your point. I guess we're stuck with Burns, but I would have Bairstow over Pope.
The problem is there's no right answer. In the last 3 and half years since the summer of 2018 JB has had 40 innings at an average of 21 with only one hundred and loads of ducks and single figure scores. Bairstow, Pope, Crawley, Burns in fact almost everyone bar Root have done nowt to deserve selection but on balance for now i would stick with Pope the younger underachieving talented option.

The problem is there's no right answer. In the last 3 and half years since the summer of 2018 JB has had 40 innings at an average of 21 with only one hundred and loads of ducks and single figure scores. Bairstow, Pope, Crawley, Burns in fact almost everyone bar Root have done nowt to deserve selection but on balance for now i would stick with Pope the younger underachieving talented option.
It's definitely a case of 'you pays your money ...' In any event, you will probably get your wish on Thursday, because they're unlikely to change the batters. Of course, I will hope that Pope goes on to make a double century.

We just go round in circles with people saying this and that person needs to be dropped.

I said when Sibley and Crawley were selected they were not better than what we had and that was proved right.

We particularly knackered with the openers like, because as much as I have heard Burns slagged of from all quarters on this board over the last few days.

The fact remains he is probably one of the best openers available for selection.

In fact you could make a valid argument he is the best!

That’s how poor the options are!

Throwing a untested test opener against these would not work imo.

If we do drop Burns, Crawley should play as Aussie wickets could suit him.

At even that a massive risk

But barring him no other opener anywhere near good enough to be thrown in against they attack

Last edited:
Kids were with grandparents today so managed to catch up on some sleep. Gutted we aren't taking it all the way but not going to lie, going to bed around midnight is going to be nice :lol:

Excellent post...what's your thoughts leaving broad out given our bowling limitations?
I like Broad against the Aussies...they don’t like him and he’s always up for the fight. Before the game I really wanted to play Leach, the only reason not to, I said, was if it were a green top. Well low and behold the greenest Gabba pitch ever! So I’d have played him instead of Leach. That being said if the batsmen can’t get a decent total on the board you’re always gonna struggle.

Couldn't understand the omission of Broad, unless he's not performing in the nets or something.
He has the sign over Warner &co, conditions looked just right.
Its all hindsight I know, you hear the experts say ... "win the toss, look down look up ....then bat"
Its was all too familiar, tune into TMS half an hour in..4 wickets down.
Burns to me simply looks so awkward, Hameed looked steady, Root once again, in so early he may as well open
Hoping the 2 Day/Nighters level it up a bit ...But
Ive no confidence in several of our top order

Broad says he was fit to play it was between him and Jack Leach.

As somebody sitting thousands of miles away with no knowledge of the conditions I probably would have picked Leach TBF. Can I be England coach?

Broad says he was fit to play it was between him and Jack Leach.

As somebody sitting thousands of miles away with no knowledge of the conditions I probably would have picked Leach TBF. Can I be England coach?

He's proper unprofessional isn't he. Every time he's not playing he's whining to the press trying to put pressure on the selectors. It's called resting Stuart, but maybe if you didn't have a bowling average of 37 in Australia then you'd be more likely to be picked. I'd much rather of had a spinner out there, even if hindsight says differently, and i'd still argue that if we go five quicks for the rest of the series we'll be hammered.

He's proper unprofessional isn't he. Every time he's not playing he's whining to the press trying to put pressure on the selectors. It's called resting Stuart, but maybe if you didn't have a bowling average of 37 in Australia then you'd be more likely to be picked. I'd much rather of had a spinner out there, even if hindsight says differently, and i'd still argue that if we go five quicks for the rest of the series we'll be hammered.
Better record than woakes

Aye think that's pathetic from him.

Way to show the team is fractured already. Undermining the coach and captains decision.

Better record than woakes
Irrelevant Broad wasn't picked.

Deal with it like a professional.

Last edited:
Best average of all England bowlers in the squad at the Gabba (24.58).

Didn't realise he was as high as 37 across all Australia but that's fairly similar to Anderson, Stokes and Overton (better than Woakes as chops says).

Back