Australia 🇦🇺 v England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 1st Ashes Test ⚱️ Brisbane

Australia’s bowling attack is top class but Christ we make it easy for them. They looked knackered by end of the third day. Dig in for the morning session and they would have been flagging in the afternoon. Too many nothing shots, Root and Buttler just hanging the bat outside of off to straight deliveries. Malan dancing down the track to block when standing still would have been the easy option. Pope wtf. Aussies are just so much better at leaving deliveries, we always want to put bat on ball.

We seem to be hanging a lot of hope on Adelaide but anything our bowlers can do will be matched and probably bettered.

Anybody who knows a bit about the game knows that when the other team has a 200 + run lead on first innings it’s overwhelmingly likely they’ll win. The media hyping up a 150 run stand with the new ball 10 overs away was laughable and shows how little they know.

There’s been almost nothing to encourage England from this game. Poor preparation, poor selection, poor batting and fielding. It was the greenest Gabba pitch I’ve seen. The seamers did ok given what the batsmen left them to work with. Ollie Robinson looks a quality bowler but I’d love him to add a yard of pace, it’s maybe too late in his career to do this now. A shame Ollie Stone and Jofra are knackered, they’d do well on Aussie pitches.

Time and time again this happens in Australia. I think we’ve gone backwards under Silverwood and there’s a dearth of decent batsmen and we are crying out for a spinner.
I couldn't believe how hyped cook was in studio before play started on day 4. Don't get me wrong, he was not going to slag his former team mates off before the collapse most of us saw coming. It was just unrealistic to expect batters in such poor form with little preparation to improve so massively in a second innings after such a shocking first innings.

Well we've shown resilience in the past, we won at least two sessions and tried our hardest ...

BUT WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?!!!?

A totally spineless batting performance, to cap a typically useless first game of the series. Burns and Pope should go, but that's the least of it. The decision to bat first was gormless and we failed to apply ourselves - again.
Burns and Pope should go? Easy words until Crawley, Bairstow and Lawrence play, fail again and the same argument is made against them. I’m not sure if the answer but it’s very 1990s if we are just dropping the likes of Pope one test into a series. What do we do if Crawley or Lawrence have a bad match?

Bowling wasn't the issue apart from the spinner being left out to dry and stokes not being in any match practice. Fielding was really poor and so many missed chances, and I'm sick of having to talk about how inept the batting lineup is. Rory burns is a walking wicket and nearly landed a pair of ducks, hameed the jury is out, malan suddenly back in the test team due to the failure of so many number 3s, root carrying the lineup again and then soft dismissal, stokes not had any practice and look d understandably out of sorts, butler 2 hundreds in 50 odd tests when he is in for his batting ability and seems to get starts but then gifts a wicket, woakes or Robinson should have been the decision as both are similar pace and purpose, pope just looks out of his depth and not contributing enough to warrant a place in the team
Also think the tactics were all wrong for most of the game. Whether that is root or silver woods plans I don't know. But the the way we came out to bat this morning was so negative against an old ball and a new ball around the corner. 3 wickets lost with the ball 70+ overs old and just invited pressure when they were just trying to get to the new ball

Last edited:
it was and it wasn’t. At 220-2 and only 58 runs behind on a still good batting track, the game was still alive. Had we put on another 250, it would have been a tricky chase.
But there's basically no evidence to suggest this line up can reach 500 in an innings

That's like saying going in 3 down at half time is OK as long as you score 6 in the remaining 45 minutes

The best chance we had from the off was to use the one area where we have some quality-attack-. Yes it would have been a risk but it would have been one with logic behind it. Use your best weapon in conditions that were suited for it. Best foot forward.

There's no logic to choosing to give one of the best attacks in the world, at home, with a kookaburra, a free go at a very sketchy, unpractised line up. You can't apply scoreboard pressure if you can't accumulate a score, and you make even more work for the attack.

Last edited:
But there's basically no evidence to suggest this line up can reach 500 in an innings

That's like saying going in 3 down at half time is OK as long as you score 6 in the remaining 45 minutes

The best chance we had from the off was to use the one area where we have some quality-attack-. Yes it would have been a risk but it would have been one with logic behind it. Use your best weapon in conditions that were suited for it. Best foot forward.

There's no logic to choosing to give one of the best attacks in the world, at home, with a kookaburra, a free go at a very sketchy, unpractised line up. You can't apply scoreboard pressure if you can't accumulate a score, and you make even more work for the attack.

It isn’t quite like that. There were two batsmen in at the crease, one of whom is amongst the best in the world and the other with a canny track record. There was a good chance Root would go on and get a big total to inch us towards that 500. There was hope. It wasn’t entirely game over at the beginning of play.

It isn’t quite like that. There were two batsmen in at the crease, one of whom is amongst the best in the world and the other with a canny track record. There was a good chance Root would go on and get a big total to inch us towards that 500. There was hope. It wasn’t entirely game over at the beginning of play.
Yes, I agree that there was no excuse for what happened today and it's not a isolated incident in the past decade 🤔

So what we doing for Adelaide then?
Need to find room for Broad and Anderson. Ultimately our bowling isn't too bad. Batting wise we are an absolute embarrassment. My thoughts are clear to all on here about how we have neglected the red ball game for years now, it's utter shameful and we are utterly obsessed with the slog fest cricket and the introduction of the 100 again shows no respect to red ball cricket and it won't change anytime soon. Pretty much a case of damage limitation as far as I'm concerned. I watched about 90 minutes this morning and it was embarrassing to watch but ever so predictable. We have made a very average Australia side look world class who I believe lost their last year series to a second string Indian test side at home? We're simply not very good, the ECB don't give a toss and I sometimes wonder whether the players do, as some of them look so fragile and very weak. You always look to your openers to set the tone, stamp authority on the opposition.... Those two we currently have aren't strong and we haven't been strong for a long time consistently. Not much coming through either. So much wrong and so many to blame.

Need to find room for Broad and Anderson. Ultimately our bowling isn't too bad. Batting wise we are an absolute embarrassment. My thoughts are clear to all on here about how we have neglected the red ball game for years now, it's utter shameful and we are utterly obsessed with the slog fest cricket and the introduction of the 100 again shows no respect to red ball cricket and it won't change anytime soon. Pretty much a case of damage limitation as far as I'm concerned. I watched about 90 minutes this morning and it wasM embarrassing to watch but ever so predictable. We have made a very average Australia side look world class who I believe lost their last year series to a second string Indian test side at home? We're simply not very good, the ECB don't give a toss and I sometimes wonder whether the players do, as some of them look so fragile and very weak. You always look to your openers to set the tone, stamp authority on the opposition.... Those two we currently have aren't strong and we haven't been strong for a long time consistently. Not much coming through either. So much wrong and so many to blame.
yeah, pretty much this and to rub salt into the ECB wounds the Aussies won the slog fest too :D

Last edited:

Back