Aurora Borealis

Only ever viewed them once and that was in 1988. Not as impressive as I wanted them to be but a local told me that generally they are much better. I just caught them on a bad night.
Lots of in how bright they can be variance. And if you're in a town or city they aren't nearly as impressive as if you're miles and miles from any artificial light source. Then they can be awe-inspiring

Never seen a reading over 1000 before. Will keep an eye on it and nip down to the coast if the red warning lasts.
This one is the CME that came out of sunspot AR3614, another one that came out of AR3615 might come in not long behind it, but this one could last a few hours longer hopefully.
It certainly arrived quickly, they must be having a ball in the likes of Australia and New Zealand atm photographing it !

still at Red now, it's cloudy here but I think there is a little bit of a glow, if you are anywhere with a break in the cloud it might be worth taking a photo looking North

Too cloudy here and I can't leave home tonight to go somewhere less cloudy!
Even with the light pollution, I can pick it up with my phone camera from my back gate, 1 large G&T stops me from going further.
full

Back