Auf Wiedersehen, Pet

Status
Not open for further replies.

The originally planned third series would have been brilliant, I think. The drafts were for them to cross the iron curtain and take on a job in the USSR. I think that kind of scenario, more in the style of the first series, would have been a better fit for the characters. Unfortunately Gary Holton's death and the mess it left the second series in put an end to that. They did reuse the idea for the start of the fourth series though.

Jimmy Nail was reportedly considered a real pain in the arse on the set for the second series, and he was continually complaining about the script and saying words to the effect of "But why would they bother with this? They would not do this." La Frenais and Clement eventually admitted years later that he was right. I think the idea lost something when they went from episodic self-contained episodes with the only narrative being the slowly building site (actually a development over in Borehamwood) and a few reoccurring characters, to the overly complicated narrative. They could easily have done five series on German building sites. They did enough series on the exact same set for Porridge and it worked brilliantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back