Aston Villa Splashing the Cash

Yup, other than Heaton and making Mings permanent they wasted their money. But the likes of Cringe thought Wesley was a better bet than Abrahams!

Lots of clubs are so so bad at spending money, just get carried away

The basic principle of only signing a player who will instantly improve your XI seems to have been lost.

Southampton spent a fortune last few years, but ended up back with the likes of Long, Redmond etc in their XI, rightfully so

Not sure what Villa were thinking of, signed 2 centre mids for massive money who aren't as good as McGinn and Hourhaine, very poor.

Lots of clubs are so so bad at spending money, just get carried away

The basic principle of only signing a player who will instantly improve your XI seems to have been lost.

Southampton spent a fortune last few years, but ended up back with the likes of Long, Redmond etc in their XI, rightfully so

Not sure what Villa were thinking of, signed 2 centre mids for massive money who aren't as good as McGinn and Hourhaine, very poor.

We have been guilty of it for years as well.

The best example is Spurs. Spent big for more than 30 years and had but a couple of cups to their name - always underperforming relative to spending. Then they invest money in the academy, ground and long-term growth and - hey presto - they start to everperform relative to spending.

Totally agree but he’s still not a Man Utd calibre player IMO.
That's a strange way to think when you don't support them. They haven't challange for the league for years and regularly play the likes of Lingard and Fred. They are competing for 5th. Grealish was second out of all the players in the league for creating chances a few weeks ago (not sure where he is now) and he would probably improve playing with better players as he improves a side like Man U.

That's a strange way to think when you don't support them. They haven't challange for the league for years and regularly play the likes of Lingard and Fred. They are competing for 5th. Grealish was second out of all the players in the league for creating chances a few weeks ago (not sure where he is now) and he would probably improve playing with better players as he improves a side like Man U.
I can't name 5 Man Utd players who are better than him. His attitude does stink like.

Rumour has it that Villa are possibly in trouble with FFP? Grealish has a £40 m get out clause to his contract. They might have to sell him.

For clarity, there are no FFP issues other than it makes a good news story because people always want to read about Villa - We sell papers.

Oh and Grealish will not be leaving in January. You are being extremely silly if you think that.

It’s not strange at all..Man Utd are one of the biggest football clubs in the world..players like Lingard..Fred..Jones..Smalling..shouldn’t be anywhere near Man Utds team..Grealish is a good player but he isn’t a top player..top 3 clubs in the world should be looking to sign top players..the likes of Grealish IMO won’t significantly improve them..Man Utd are where they are through signing mediocrity.

Last edited:
If you're taking about the Man Utd of 10 years ago I agree but they're just a top 10 team now not an elite team.

What are you going on about..Man Utd are where they are through signing mediocre players..read my last post..they’re one of the biggest football clubs in the world..they should be looking at bigger names than Jack Grealish.

What are you going on about..Man Utd are where they are through signing mediocre players..read my last post..they’re one of the biggest football clubs in the world..they should be looking at bigger names than Jack Grealish.

They're shite at the minute. They need to rebuild properly. They can't just sign whoever they want because they aren't good enough to attract them anymore.

Don’t blame me, I’m agreeing with you!

I know mate..I was thanking you..cheers.
They're shite at the minute. They need to rebuild properly. They can't just sign whoever they want because they aren't good enough to attract them anymore.

You make a fair point about attracting top players but IMO players like Grealish aren’t up to the standard they require.

Last edited:
If we go down then Grealish will certainly go. Smith seems very clueless at the minute, although I’m not for having his head on a plate just yet. Not having a simple goal scorer like Ings is costing us big time. I knew we’d lose yesterday and I knew Ings would score for them. McGinn has completely lost his spark too which is not helping. Mings injury has turned us into the worst 3 clubs in the league at the moment. Plenty of time left and it’s still very tight.

Back