Ashley Cole retires

Everyone in England has this lazy attitude to him being the best left back in the world in his prime, but he wasnt

Completely right, apart from the fact that he was.
Most on this forum, let alone the world, don't agree with you, so good luck with the rest of the world :lol:
Nah, most of the football fans around the world would agree with me, have a great evening danger

Last edited:
Cole was great in his prime ...a true world talent. Others mentioned are worthy, too, but isn't one name weirdly absent? His prime years were a decade, at least, ahead of Cole's but surely the best left back in living memory is Paolo Maldini?
It's all about opinion, of course, but that's mine.

I was beginning to think that either:

a) my memory wasnt what it should be and Maldini played primarily outside of the left back position.

(or)

b) he didn't play at the same time as Cole and i couldn't be arsed to google career dates.

I'm glad someone else mentioned Maldini though!

By way of comparison, Maldini was better. Paolo Maldini is the arguably one of the best LBs AND best CBs of all time. He's certainly the most complete, all round defender I've ever seen, and to put it into perspective he was still the captain of Milan when he retired at the age of 41, and played 32 games that year. Ashley Cole couldn't get into a 6th place Championship side at the age of 37/38, having spent the previous 2 years playing barely-professionally in a league where Miguel Almiron is Zinedine Zidane. At the same age Cole is now, Maldini captained Milan to the CL title.

Last edited:
in defence of @robbied1, David Beckham has posted that if it wasn't for Roberto Carlos then Ashley Cole would take the title of best team mate/opponent he's ever played with/against.

David Beckham agrees with @robbied1
Ahh well i guess everyone on here is right and i am wrong!
You have a lazy attitude in trying to be all ‘different’ every time you post.
Not really im simply saying one player is better than another

Last edited:
Mickey Gray spoke about him on talksport, when we signed Steve Bould he went up to Gray and told him to get his England caps in now because there’s a kid coming through at Arsenal whose going to get them all meaning Cole.

But a left backs job isnt just to defend. Carlos was a better defender than cole was at going forward, therefore roberto carlos is by dar the superior left back
I lived in Madrid for 5 years and saw roughly 80 games where Carlos played, a lot of the Madrid fans wanted him out. He's not as highly thought of as you think and was poor in a lot of games.

I lived in Madrid for 5 years and saw roughly 80 games where Carlos played, a lot of the Madrid fans wanted him out. He's not as highly thought of as you think and was poor in a lot of games.
Real madrid fans love him man, marcelo, well they dont like him, ive been out to madrid for matches over the years, never saw him subjected to any whistling

Weirdly I’ve met him twice. Both time’s on train journeys - both time’s in -on way to Manchester. Really really nice bloke.
Ah really? Haven’t met the bloke personally but I know a few people who have (friends/ relatives of Cheryl so maybe their view is somewhat tainted!)!
Roberto carlos
A better footballer yes, a better left back? Not for me
Good shout whoever mentioned Maldini though - who was prob the best defender in my lifetime come to think of it !

Last edited:
Arguing who was better between Cole & Carlos...

Who cares, they were two of the best left backs the game has produced

Neither had anything on Mickey Gray mind ;)

Back